Is my Tetra sick?

1. Blake Fabian Initiate Member

Hello All. I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium. I have a school of Neon Tetras among other fish. There is CO2 running, it's maintained at 80 degrees and has an 80 gallon filter with an extra 20 gallon filter running I had left over from a previous tank. The 75 gallon has been up and running about 6 months. I did initially have a little spout of Ick which was treated effectively with Mardels Coppersafe. I've been removing the copper with curbisorb over the last 3 days and just performed a 50% water change to ensure the copper is gone in anticipation of a shipment of shrimp arriving tomorrow.

Anyway, after I refilled the tank and applied conditioner to remove the chlorine I noticed one of my Tetras has this big white patch under his dorsal fin. Is he sick? Do I need to treat it.

Here's a link to the photo of it.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ABMcZjOxLHtQJQw&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Thanks for your help!
    -Blake

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Looks like Ich or a burn. I'd treat for Ich but not with any copper obviously. I found a natural Ich treatment that promises invertebrate safe.

3. Iris Trapp Initiate Member

Do you have the name of the natural ick treatment? I purchased 4 Cardinal tetras a week ago that brought it into my tank I'm attempting the heat treatment right now.

Thank you

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I think kordon ick attack is invert safe.

Not sure off thw top of my head if it treats ick but melafix is an herbal med sade for inverts. Pimafix is safe too but thats antifungal

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to say but this doesn't look like Ich in any way. Not any resemblance.

Looks bacterial (possible Columnaris = saddleback). If other fish aren't infected in this stage I'd tteat this one seperated and keep a close eye on the others.

6. Cef Member Member

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Had another look. Could be Ichthyobodo necatrix as well. Are they flashing, rubbing, having clamped fins and heavily breathing (doesn't look that way).
    The neon besides the sick one looks to show some greyish spots as well. Or is it the pic ?

8. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Sorry DD I was giving an opinion based on what experience I have. You know more so I bow to you sir/mam

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Not necessary at all hahaha and I am certainly not a "know-it-all" and definitely like discussion.

Diagnosing often is pretty difficult and I am making mistakes constantly.

As said this greyish layer on the fish doesn't look like Ich, which appear as white grains of salt. Even smaller (goldish) spots often are Velvet.

Regards Aad (sir hahaha).

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Kind of looks like Neon Tetra Disease. I've only seen pictures and read about it.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Don't think it is that Lucy.
    NTD is quite rare and shows some specific symptoms. Erratic swimming, seperation of the school, lethargy, white patches specific in the red part of the fish, etc.....

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I did not realize it was that. Thanks!
    Blake Fabian how is your fish?