Is my tetra pregnant or sick

Queen33

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We have had this tank for about 3 years and the same fish have lived in it. We added another tetra to the tank about 7 months ago and all the fish are doing fine. About 2 weeks ago, one of our neons looked to be pregnant....the only change was adding the additional fish. Of course we all think that the new fish bred with it. We bought a floating net tank/cage for it so if it did lay eggs they would be safe from the other fish....but if it is sick, I don't want it to get the others sick. We need some help!

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI and welcome to fishlore!
I looked at the pictures and imo, that fish is sick. It appears to me to be bloated and not pregnant. It looks like bloat to me-dropsy.
https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm
Hopefully others will give you their opinions as well.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks quite badly bloated to me as well. You might try feeding it de shelled frozen peas and see if there's any improvement.

FishesInTank

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Queen33 said:
We have had this tank for about 3 years and the same fish have lived in it. We added another tetra to the tank about 7 months ago and all the fish are doing fine. About 2 weeks ago, one of our neons looked to be pregnant....the only change was adding the additional fish. Of course we all think that the new fish bred with it. We bought a floating net tank/cage for it so if it did lay eggs they would be safe from the other fish....but if it is sick, I don't want it to get the others sick. We need some help!
Hmm.. Does it swim normally? It looks sick, the bloat is bigger than the size when it's pregnant (I think).

The Owner of Good Fishes and Killing Fishes group

FishesInTank

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have you check the water parameter? You might wanna ask someone here who knows the disease of ur neon.

The Owner of Good Fishes and Killing Fishes group

New Threads