Is My Tank Understocked? What To Add?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by hugh71158, Apr 16, 2017.

1. hugh71158

hugh71158 Valued Member Member

So, back in the Fall my 6 year old won a goldfish at a fair. That turned into two goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and as it goes, that turned into a 55 gallon tank!!

So, my home build, over engineered base has still has corner posts and two doors to be added - don't laugh. :)

Here is what we have in our beginners tank. (if I name these wrong, forgive me)

8 zebra danios
    2 mickey mouse platies
    1 sunburst platy
    2 albino cory catfish
    1 cremecicle molly
    1 silver molly. It's been in less than an hour, and seems a little aggressive.

I have NO IDEA what sex any of these fish are.

So, here are my questions.

1. I feel that there is still a ways to go as far as stocking is concerned, and the image below shows how much space there is, but not sure what to add next. Something a little larger in the tank would be nice, IMO. I thought Angelfish would work, but Petsmart (where all this stuff came from) said they would be too aggressive. I thought I had read otherwise.

2. An airstone? I get the visual value, but is it beneficial to the fish?

3. The two original goldfish remain in the 10 gallon tank. I'm told that might be too small, and also that it would be a bad idea to have them with the in with all the other species. Correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :) Here are some pics.

Hugh

Attached Files:

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Corys are a shoaling fish so you should have a minimum group of 6 :)

As for the goldfish, a 10 is definitely too small, if you had it for that long they most likely have stunted growth :(, I suggest getting at least a 40 breeder for them to live in for their rest of their life. Do you know what species?

Hard to tell in the picture but in order to tell the difference between male and female live bearers you look at their anal fin. Males have a rod shape while females have a fan shape. Search up "sexing live bearers" on google images and you will see pictures.

3. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Are your goldfish single tailed goldfish (common, comet, shubunkin) or fancy goldfish (Ryukin, fantail, etc)?

They cannot go with your current stock in the 55 gallon, and I hate to tell you, but if they are single tailed goldfish, these guys get 12+ inches and need a 100+ gallon pond. I have a one and a half year old common goldfish right now and he's 6 inches long. If they are fancy goldfish, it'll be easier for you to house them.

I will leave any temperature issues to the others. Corydoras are happiest in shoals of 6+.

4. OP
    OP
    hugh71158

It looks like the two goldfish are "fancy". Pic attached.

The 2 Mickey Mouse fish are male. The sunburst platy is female. These three hang out together all the time. Will these interbreed, or does that just not happen?

Thanks for the replies. :) Oh, what would you guys add to this tank, bigger fish preferably.

Hugh

Attached Files:

5. Laurengr

Laurengr Valued Member Member

You could maybe look into getting a pair of Gouramis for this tank? I'm not entirely sure how well they would go with what you have in there but you can get types that are a decent size :) good luck!

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

You can get a pair of honey gouramis. Smaller than DGs, but a lot less territorial and violent. I had 2 males in my 20g, they were best friends.

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I suggest honey gouramis, they are peaceful.

And also, up your school of albino cories to 8. You can also get some bronze cories mix in their as well, because bronze can school with albinos.

8. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Possibly a pair of dwarf cichlids, maybe German or Bolivian rams, one of the more outgoing Apistos?

9. OP
    OP
    hugh71158

Everyone, thank you!!!! You have all given me great pointers, and I'm now knee deep in the details. I'll post my final stock list.

Thanks!!!

Hugh

10. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Those 2 fancy goldfish would thrive in a 40 gallon, but 10 gallons is definetely too small for them.

11. OP
    OP
    hugh71158

Hi,

they are about 3.5 inches at the moment. So, a 40 gallon just for the two fish? I get a little confused about this - see attached image of a ton of fish in a tank, built by a pro it seems. I was just watching his video. That's way too many, right?

Thanks!

Hugh

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 12.01.04 AM.png

12. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

That tank is 370 gallons.

13. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Is that one of King of DIY's video's...the tank is like 350gal +

14. OP
    OP
    hugh71158

370 gallons - so that would be around 18 fish at 20 gallons each.

Right, this certainly is a learning curve. I need to re-house these fish. Funny. the fish cost is minute compared to the equipment cost. :) Knew I shouldn't have taken the kids to that fair! :)

Seriously, we are getting into it, and appreciate the help.

Hugh

15. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I find shopping on Amazon for some equipment to save a little bit in terms of costs :) Wait until your kids are all very much older and have MTS from going to that fair! I'm just joking, the hobby is a fun one.

16. OP
    OP
    hugh71158

:) It is.

17. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Fancy goldfish can get to 6-8 inches if kept properly. They need a fair amount of space, but they are beautiful fish.

For the 2 fancy goldfish, maybe you should consider buying a large heavy duty storage container, they are cheap and what you can do is dig a small hole in your backyard and place the heavy duty storage container in there and make a little pond out of it. You could also just have an above ground pond without digging a hole. I have done this in the past & it looked gorgeous!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

Do you have any pictures of this? Would love to see it!!

19. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Fancy goldfish need 20 gallons per fish minimum.

An angel wouldn't work because it needs warmer water than the rest of your stock.

Cories need groups of 6+

For the centrepiece fish you could have a honey gourami or a Bolivian ram.

20. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

Rams are a very nice addition. I have one and am getting a mate for it very soon. They have such cool personalities. I would also up your cory count to at least 6. I don't know goldfish at all so I won't make any suggestions there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice