Is My Tank Understocked Or Overstocked?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To get a rough idea you could type in your stock and filtration and such to:

Definitely doesn't sound overstocked to me. I have a 55 with a lot lot more in it. Mine on the other hand could be overstocked but I have a lot of filtration and do 60-70% WC's every 5-7 days.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jorami said:
Hi,
I have a 55 gallon tank with:
15 neon tetras
3 peppered cory catfish
1 albino bristle-nose pleco
5 female bettas
1 otocinclus
1 amono shrimp (the rest disappeared!)
and 4 ghost shrimp.

Is my tank understocked or overstocked? I can't tell.
The stocking sounds ok, just up the numbers of the Cory's and the Oto's, there's plenty of space on the bottom for Cory's look to up it to 8/10 Peppered Cory's and 10 Oto's.

OP
J

Jorami

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
To get a rough idea you could type in your stock and filtration and such to:

Definitely doesn't sound overstocked to me. I have a 55 with a lot lot more in it. Mine on the other hand could be overstocked but I have a lot of filtration and do 60-70% WC's every 5-7 days.
I have 2 large carbon filters, live plants, and I do a 20-30% water change a week.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
The stocking sounds ok, just up the numbers of the Cory's and the Oto's, there's plenty of space on the bottom for Cory's look to up it to 8/10 Peppered Cory's and 10 Oto's.
Ok thank you! I didn't want the cory's to crowd the bottom, so I might go for an extra 3 cory's and 3 oto's.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jorami said:
I have 2 large carbon filters, live plants, and I do a 20-30% water change a week.
Carbon filters? Are you referring to sponge filters or hang on back filters? Do you have pics of your setup? I would still recommend doing at least 50% WC's weekly.

OP
J

Jorami

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Carbon filters? Are you referring to sponge filters or hang on back filters? Do you have pics of your setup? I would still recommend doing at least 50% WC's weekly.
I have two of these on the tank >

Will 50% mess with the biological chemistry?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No the majority of beneficial bacteria is in your filter and on the surfaces of your tank. plants, driftwood, glass, decorations not in the water column. In a cycled tank you could technically do 80-90% WC's without affecting anything. That's why u kept losing your cycle when you were throwing your cartriges away and replacing them.

OP
J

Jorami

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
No the majority of beneficial bacteria is in your filter and on the surfaces of your tank. plants, driftwood, glass, decorations not in the water column. In a cycled tank you could technically do 80-90% WC's without affecting anything. That's why u kept losing your cycle when you were throwing your cartriges away and replacing them.
Good to know taking out a lot of the water won't mess with the cycle. I'll start doing a 30-40% water changes to help. I'm planning on adding some more cory's and betta girls.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jorami said:
Good to know taking out a lot of the water won't mess with the cycle. I'll start doing a 30-40% water changes to help. I'm planning on adding some more cory's and betta girls.
Glad I could help. I would probably only add maybe 3-4 more peppers they get pretty good size. mine are about 2.5-3" . No experience with a Betta sorority but best of luck to you on that!! Pics would be nice when your able to

OP
J

Jorami

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Glad I could help. I would probably only add maybe 3-4 more peppers they get pretty good size. mine are about 2.5-3" . No experience with a Betta sorority but best of luck to you on that!! Pics would be nice when your able to
Thanks man!
IMG_20190810_174912.jpg

I got a mix of live and fake plants, but mostly live ones. I know the blue gravel doesn't match well, but there was a 90% off sale and I couldnt say no lol
IMG_20190810_175005.jpg

Water wisteria and some Java fern.
IMG_20190810_174920.jpg

Just recently tide an anubias to this stick.
IMG_20190810_175000.jpg

I'm trying to get a carpet going, but I have had no luck. I don't use fertilizer, maybe that's why...
IMG_20190810_175029.jpg

One of my koI bettas

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
very cool!! congrats!. If you get a bottle of Nilog Thrive it will help your plants and depending on what lighting your using will help the carpet. Either way very nice setup!!

OP
J

Jorami

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
very cool!! congrats!. If you get a bottle of Nilog Thrive it will help your plants and depending on what lighting your using will help the carpet. Either way very nice setup!!
Thank you and thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into this fertilizer.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jorami said:

Ok thank you! I didn't want the cory's to crowd the bottom, so I might go for an extra 3 cory's and 3 oto's.
Your cories and otto cats will be much happier in a large group. 10 of each will bare look like anything in a 55 gallon, no need to worry about crowding.
"happy" fish are less likely to become aggresssive, they are better eaters, they live longer, grow larger, are less likely to come down with diseases like ich that spread to the hole tank.

Wardonianfungus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don’t do the giant water changes weekly pike everyone has been saying! You will stress your cories as they are more sensitive to them

New Threads