Is My Tank Too Stocked?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by angiec, Apr 22, 2019.

1. angiecNew MemberMember

Absolutely no signs of aggression, I feed them plenty of food, and no deaths or non pre exsisting fin issues...

(10 gallon)
    List of fish:
    One (yoyo?) Loach
    4 fancy guppies
    3 neon tetra
    3 cherry (?) Shrimp
    A Betta
    5 zebra tetras (I believe) and 2 baby platyVideoCapture_20190422-232832.jpg

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

It will be when they grow up. Some of those fish wouldn't be appropriate for your tank by themselves let along with tank mates.

3. Pwilly07Valued MemberMember

Go to aqadvisor.com and put in your information. It will tell you that you are overstocked and that certain fish cannot go together. How many fish you have also depends on the filtration you have for your tank.

4. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Well nothing in there gets very big except the Yo-yo loach it could get to 5”. So I’d return it. Betta May get its fins nipped. They’re zebra danios. The 4 guppies if they’re male and female could be 40 very quickly. Than that will be a problem. Yo-yo will probably eat the shrimp as it grows. So there are future problems. Platies are also livebearers so there numbers could grow.
    So you could keep the neons,danios,betta and shrimp and return the rest or keep the guppies and platies,shrimp and betta and return the others. Me I like the first group better.:).

5. angiecNew MemberMember

Ita been about a month and the Betta doesn't seem to get in anyone's way and vice versa, is that a good sign for the future of the community or is this just luck? I plan on sizing up soon so I can always put half into the new one since I can't return them now. I'm also being told it could be a gold zebra loach would that change anything?

6. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Most stores, even chain stores, will take fish. You may not get your money back but they should be able to take them off your hands to find them another home. Zebra loaches really shouldn’t be kept in a ten gallon. They’re very active fish. They also like being in groups, so it’s best to keep a few of them. This doesn’t mean they will die instantly if kept alone in a too small tank, but there’s a difference between surviving and thriving.

7. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

This ^ is wisdom, and is a fact that is far too often overlooked, ignored or simply not understood...should be a bumper sticker or a T-shirt or something...:)

8. angiecNew MemberMember

Well I wanted to up the 10 gallon to a 20, so transferring him into that and adding a few more would make for a happy loach? If so which of the others can I transfer with them? I have no issue taking them back but I'd rather find a better store than a Petco or PetSmart they don't do too well with their fish. However I made the decision to bring them home so I would like to at least try and accommodate their living situation.

9. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I had mine in a 29 gallon and they “glass surfed” a lot. Swimming up the sides of a tank is often a sign that they are in too small of a tank for their comfort. I moved them into a 90 and they seem much more content. Personally, i would try to rehome him and get a different species of bottom dwellers but i am sure many people would disagree and say that a 20 is fine.

10. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

11. angiecNew MemberMember

I think it might be a golden zebra loach I'm trying to have it identified so I can buy it friends of the same species

12. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

ok

13. angiecNew MemberMember

These are the best photos I have of him as of now VideoCapture_20190423-082524.jpgVideoCapture_20190423-082430.jpgVideoCapture_20190423-082523.jpg

14. marshall1019New MemberMember

It's not horrible. I moved to a 29 gallon tank from the ten. Big difference and not expensive. The thing is that if you only had the zebra danios it would be okay, but with the other fish, I would go to a 29. You and your fish will be happy. Also, add one more danio, 6 is a good school, danios are a schooling fish.
    May I kindly suggesty that tetras prefer to be in a school, get at least 5 or 6. Also, with Zebra danios in the mix, I would move to a 29 gallon, you and your fish will be happy!

15. angiecNew MemberMember

I just got the neon tetras a few days ago and the guy who owned the shop swore up and down that 3 was a good number

16. marshall1019New MemberMember

I'm sorry but the guy who owned the pet shop probably knows as much about fish as your aunt bessie. No dis-respect to aunt bessie! Tetras are sad in a group of three. Perhaps check on this site or with a proper fish store. I have 8 cardinal tetras and I wish I had room for a few more. Schooling fish are happy with a minimum of 5 or 6. The reason is that three tetras will feel unprotected and vulnerable to other fish in a group of three and this puts stress on them. The more tetras, the safer they feel.

17. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

29 is an ideal tank. Much better than a 20 and not much more. Probably find the whole thing on Craig’s list for cheap. If you do you could leave the betta in the 10 :). This is a very dangerous hobby. Just started and already thinking of getting another :). We refer to it as mts (more tanks syndrome).

18. angiecNew MemberMember

See he worked at a "legit" place he breeds fish and everything. If I were to get neons elsewhere would it effect them schooling together?

19. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

No neons of everywhere school together. Until they get familiar with the tank and realize nothing is going to be eating them. Than they just swim around :). Which is perfectly normal :). But please don’t get ANY more fish yet.:).

20. angiecNew MemberMember

I'm not lol I just picked up another 10 gallon and I'm going to start cycling it so I can at least lessen the amount in one tank