Is my tank too small for cories?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by loachaholic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. loachaholic

loachaholicValued MemberMember

I've been thinking that instead of getting more Sparklers for my main tank, I'd get a school each of otos and cories. I'm just not really sure if I should, seeing as how cories are a bottomfeeder, and my tank doesn't have a whole lot of bottom to it. I thought maybe I'd get Pygmy cories, or I've heard that Julii cories also stay pretty small... but even still, I'd rather my schools to be at least 5 and that looks kinda crowded in my head.

Mainly I kinda want something that'll liven up the tank a bit... my Sparkles are absolute darlings, but they're so shy!

2. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Just for clarity, is this the 30g hex that's in your aquarium profile?

3. OP
    OP
    loachaholic

Yes it is, sorry for not being clear ^^;

4. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

You can fit a school of cories in a 30 gallon tank. I don't know the exact dimensions of a hex (is that tall?), but 30 gallons is enough space in any case. Long would be better suited than tall though. I don't know anything about otos really, but the Fishlore profile page seems to indicate that a school of otos would probably fit: https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_otocinclus.htm

But if you keep your tank 81 degrees as your profile indicates, you might want to look at Corydoras sterbai (albino or regular) because most cories do prefer the water at a lower temp (high 60s, mid 70s). Your options might open up if you lower the tank temp a few degrees (77ish?).

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

How established is this tanks? Otos need to go into an older tank, not one that is newly cycled.

6. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Not all cories are true bottom dwellers. Pygmaseus and hastus will spend time in mid water etc. also they are the pygmys.

7. OP
    OP
    loachaholic

I know otos need a matured tank, I started this one about 6 months ago but I moved a little over 2 weeks ago so that probably means I gotta start from scratch timewise. Though I'm not sure, do they need a matured tank because they're sensitive and need a properly cycled home, or is it so they'll have lots of algae to start munching when they get released?

The Hastatus cories are adorable! I think they may be just the thing. But did some reading on them, it says they need a PH of max 7.4, mine is 7.6. Would that be okay for them? I tried having inverts in my tank when I knew my water had traces of copper, it didn't work out and I don't want to try introducing anything else into unsuitable water conditions! I feel so sorry for my poor Shrimpy. Odd thing is he was fine for 2 weeks, then I did a water change and he died... if that happened to my cories I'd be heartbroken. It also says they like to be in schools of 6+, could I get that many and still leave room for otos without overcrowding my tank? AqAdvisor says I'd be okay at 109% with everyone in, but 112% filtration-wise, and since they're all so teeny I can't imagine they'd really be hassling each other too much, but I'd definitely like to get a non-computerized opinion on the matter.

8. bencross

bencrossNew MemberMember

yes they would be fine just dont get a lot of bottom dwellers.

9. OP
    OP
    loachaholic

If I go with the cories and otos I don't plan on getting anything else, I'd be fully stocked at 19 fish, and that's not accounting for any of them breeding! Oh, this tank is shaping up to be better and better every minute... It's gonna look so pretty once everyone's all settled in, and I get some more plants in there, and the ones I already have have grown out a bit more...