Is my tank too crowded!?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kelsea, Jul 28, 2015.

1. k

kelsea New Member Member

1 Denison shark, 4 tiger barbs, 6 skirt tetras, 2 angelfish

37 gallon tank.

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

The angels will get too big. Also, 4 tiger barbs is too few. They're fin-nippers, especially with the angels, who have those long fins...tigers need 10 or more to tame their aggression.

Not sure about the Denison shark, don't know about those.

I don't know if your tank is necessarily too crowded, you just have a few stocking compatibility issues that you should take care of :)

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Yep.
    Idtake back the denison for sure if not others.
    I believe they are a schooling fish. Typically a 55 gallon is the minimum size people keep these in, though i wold suggest larger.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Denison barbs, roseline Sharks whatever you want to call them, are schooling fish and need a group of 6 or more. Angelfish get up to 6" long and are not suitable for anything less than 55 gallons or a 40 Breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Plecomaker

Hhaha , ninjad

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Not the answer you wanted to hear, your tank is not only overstocked it has inappropriate numbers & species. Have you looked at Aquadviser ? It is a stocking tool website it's not perfect but it will red flag possible issues.

7. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

Yes, don't add any more. Try to relocate some if you have multiple tanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. What most new to the hobby don't realize when it comes to overstocking is that it is not only the number of fish, but their type and what they grow up to.

Most employees at LFS or LPS aren't concerned with the future of your fish and will not advise you appropriately.

When you see angles that are the size of a dime you don't realize that before long they will the size of saucer.

Listen to the advice of previous posters and decide as whether you return some or purchase another larger tank.

Good luck.

9. K

KoolHand New Member Member

The surface area at bottom of the tank is important to the amount of fish you can have in it. A tank that is one foot by one foot and four feet high can't hold as many fish as one that is one foot by four feet one high. Adding ledges or building platforms using flat rocks well increase the number of fish your tank can support.

10. E

Why or how would a ledge or platform increase the numbers of fish that a tank can support?

11. Dom90

Yea... I'm confuzzled about that too, that would actually lower the area for fish to swim around wouldn't it?

12. Plecomaker

Its like a half truth. Cichlids, loaches, and cats will be able to sometimes stock in bigger numbers because they dont realize theyre near the surface.

However, if you just layer your fish: top swimmers, bottom swimmers etc. this wouldnt be helping at all.

13. E

Ok, so it can increase the territories but not the actual physical foot print and surface area for gas exchange. Please correct me if i am wrong.

14. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Yes to the above. You got a few crossed species in your tank. Suggest you decide which way you want to go and try to move in that direction.

Remember this is supposed to be a fun hobby.... Don't stress over it to much.

15. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

This is great advice! Well done.

16. OP
    OP
    k

kelsea New Member Member

Thanks. I feel VERY stressed

17. Plecomaker

Simplified answer: you must Take back the shark,
    step 2 : pick one of the other 3 species as your main fish then go from there.

18. Dom90

Let me add that you should rehome the angelfish also. Angelfish definitely need more space than a tank with a 30" footprint can provide.

19. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

A 37g is essentially a really tall 20 long (30 x 12 x 22). Theres enough width for the angels to turn around (twice the length of the fish), height is same as a 55g. I dont see a problem keeping 1 Angelfish in there, but not 2. Tiger Barbs do not mix well with Angels. The denison barb should be rehomed, as mentioned before.

Of course it is your tank, and do can do what you want with it. You have gotten some good advice here if you choose to follow it, it will be easier on you and the fish in the long run.

20. Plecomaker

If you go ahead and pick a fish i can offer suggestions.

like if you wants tigers to be the focus, add a couple more, they also come in 4 colors i believe, so it will look like here are more kinds. A sumo loach wold make a good bottom swimmer for that tank.

if you prefer the skirts, try a pitbull pleco as a tankmate to monitor the algae. They have a scary name, but are prettypeaceful. Cory catfish would also be an option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice