Is my tank to full?

1. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Hey, I currently have a 40 gallon tank. It is heavly planted, I am worried for my fish after picking up more fish. Just need to know if its overstocked. It currently contains: 2 peacock chiclids, 2 african chiclids, 2 jack dempseys, 2 red fin sharks, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 chinese algea eater, and 8 tiger barbs. Please help, thx

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

www.aqadvisor.com is a really great website to evaluate your stock.

It sounds like you could be over stocked, but I would check the website above too just to get idea and maybe adjust from there?

Good Luck :)

& Welcome To Fishlore

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I would also, very closely, monitor that Chinese algae eater. They have a nasty habit of sucking the sides off of fish...

I also second AqAdvisor. I use it often. Too often. Usually for tanks that I don't even have yet...

4. bescher Member Member

I don't think your even close to being overstocked. I don't have a picture of how many plants you have but no I don't think so then again
    If you go by the one inch per gal I would use that as a beginning yardstick
    As I really don't know what size the fish are either but as I said use the above
    To gauge and go from there

5. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Thanks for the help :) most of them aren't to big (2-3) there are very young fish. I am hoping to finish my tank with a black or red oscar. Not sure which one. I heard the Africans have a different ph then the oscars so i balanced inbetween to make sure they thrive :) as a side note would adding a oscar max or exceed the max of the tank? Thanks for the advice

6. WolfaraRose Member Member

Jack Dempsey's need a 55 gallon for each JD. Red fin sharks can be territorial, like hardcore, you should honestly have just one. Adding an Oscar would really push it over the limit. Once your JD's get full grown they will barely have enough room to turn around, and won't have enough swimming space.

To contradict almost everyone of this board (sorry!) aqadvisor should be taken with a grain of salt. Also the inch per gallon rule is honestly the worst rule ever for bigger fish. Smaller fish, it's ok. But can you imagine 2 , 10inch JD's really having enough space in a 40 gallon?

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

I 've found aqadvisor very helpful. Yes they're a little more conservative than others when it comes to stocking, but I'd always rather understock and then overstock! As long as you don't use it as your religion, I think its a great website when planning tanks or for new arrivals. Plus they also calculate for a full sized fish, not juveniles. And Parker Corso It would be beneficial to stock according to their adult size rather than juvie size. Especially with Cichlids as they can be very territorial, have a large bio-load, and grow very fast. An Oscar alone would be too big for a 40 gallon I think in a lot of fish keepers opinion. Same with Jack Dempseys. My mom had 4-6 JD's in a 150 gallon way back in the day and she said their water would like boil when she fed and when they bred cause they were so aggressive and large!

I think the bamboo shrimp will become dinner very very soon. I would also keep a very close eye on your Chinese algae eater and look for round sucking marks on your other fish, cause they'll especially go after the Cichlids being so close to the bottom if they ever develop a taste for their fellow tank mates.

8. Parker Corso Initiate Member

Only keeping my 40 for 3 more years :) then I plan on getting a 100 gallon. My shrimp hides in one of the plants so I think he should be ok. Thanks for advice. Do you think it will be fine for another 3 years?

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

My Angelfish were full grown in a matter of 6 months or less from dime size babies... I would look on craigslists or mayb aquabid.com and see if you can find another cheap set up.. Cause Im sure you'd like to hold onto them if you could :)

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Agreed. :)

I generally combine research of the individual fish along with AqAdvisor just to be sure. I appreciate the "warnings" it gives me when I consider two species that may not get along, or if I've forgotten that a particular species benefits from a shoal. It's certainly not perfect (what is?), but it helps keep the novice reigned in, as far as stocking goes, imho.

11. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Your overstocked, and really don't have fish that will work together long term. If it's a 40 breeder, it would be ok for a single medium sized SA cichlid. Green terror, convict, firemouth, things along those lines and size. Or, there are lots of options for an African set up. What you have may work for a little while, but in the long run, disease, deaths, and headaches are what you will end up with.

12. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I def agree that the inch per gallon rule has resulted in the death of many fish.

To the OP, when stocking you should really consider, not only your gallonage, but the shape of your tank and the strength of your filtration. Similarly, consider the habitat you create.... do you want fish that have hiding places, or that need open spaces. Lots and lots to consider, but that's really the fun of considering stock. The best idea is to research each fish profile and review their requirements and see if all the factors mesh, like temperature, water hardness, and preferred ph. I'm not sure your fish really go together, as Marie already stated. I would also suggest you test your tap water and consider your stocking options off of its chemistry. I know you already have a stocked tank, but this might be useful for future reference. :)