Is My Tank Super Cycled Or What?

1. SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Its a 45 gal tank, readings are good since few weeks, zero nitrites, zero anmonia. Guppies and tetras in it. Added 8 mollies today..and the reading for nitrites is still 0. Wondering if my tank is cycled too well..or my API kit is bluffing??

2. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Some people have a really hard time catching a positive nitrite reading because it can process so fast. That can be a good thing though. Nitrite is SUPER dangerous for your fish. I myself have only had one positive reading for it, and not a very high one. The fish were still acting off though.

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

What are your nitrates reading? If your tank was cycling for week them you shouldn’t have ammonia or nitrites. If you didn’t use ammonia for your cycling process then most likey don’t even have a cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Unfortunately i don't have a nitrate tester. The tank has lot of plants though..pothos as well

I have been getting the zero reading since two three weeks now. Kinda doubting the kit now

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

This very well might be why you're not seeing nitrites.

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Like I said, it can be really hard to get a positive reading. Doesn't mean it wasn't ever there though.

7. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would recommend to get one. It’ll be good to check it. You might be running a silent cycle if you have the tank heavily planted with tons of stem plants.

8. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Whats a silent cycle?

9. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Once a tank is cycled and well established you should never see nitrites after the original rise and fall of them. If you do get a reading saying you have nitrites that is when you start looking for a cause.

10. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

That makes lot of sense