Is my tank size ok?

1. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

So I recently bought a 22l(5 gallon) fish tank for my 4 small Balloon Mollies that I purchased just 3 days ago. I understand that 5 gallons is too small of a tank for Mollies but when I bought them I was told that the size would be fine. I will be upgrading soon but will have to wait a month or so for the filter to be mature enough and cycle for when I put the fish in. Will they be ok until then?(I have attached a photo of it) the new tank will be an AquaOne, AquaNano 40 tank which is 12 gallons(55l) Dimensions:40cm X 40cm X 40cm, will this be enough for my growing fish? Please bear in mind that my fish are SMALL BALLOON Mollies and not in fact regular mollies which grow much larger. I will be keeping them as tropical fish by the way and they are all females so will not be breeding. That is all I will be putting in the tank except from a couple of RCS. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

This is my 5 gal one at the moment.

2. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Be sure to keep an eye on your water readings (like using the API Freshwater master kit) daily to second daily checking ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings.
    Not sure if you in the USA or somewherelse but it will probably help by purchasing some bottled beneficial bacteria (USA folk swear by Tetra SafeStart, in Australia I've had success with SeaChems stability) to kickstart your nitrogen cycle and help protect your fish.
    And be prepared for water changes if needed.

Welcome otherwise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice, but will I need that bigger tank? I'm in the UK by the way.

4. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I don't know much about mollies, but I have a similar sized tank and only a single betta in it.
    I get a feeling you will need the bigger tank. I have a 50L tank as well and it's probably a really good size for them

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

The biggest problem with balloon mollies is that they are breed deformed so are not as strong as other types. If you kept up with your water changes and had enough filtration i would guess they would be ok but id still keep an eye on them

6. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

Ok thanks for the advice guys!:)

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

:sign0016: to Fishlore.

Balloon mollies though smaller than normal mollies are still too big for a 5 gallon permanently but they will be fine for a while until you get your bigger tank, as others have said just keep a close eye on your water stats until you can move them.
    Once the mollies are in their new home the 5 gallon would make a good shrimp tank or a Betta home . . . and so the Mts begins :)

8. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

So just to be clear a 12 gallon(55l) with be ok for 4 Balloon Mollies as long as they do not breed(which they can't because they are all female)and I don't add anything else into the tank except maybe a couple of RCS?

9. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Should be, but be warned livebearers such as mollies can apparently store sperm for like 6 months. If you have one possibly pregnant one now, the others may also be pregnant. And if any of the fry turn out to be males..........

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum