Is my tank ready for fish?

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
First tank, 10 gal freshwater. Many plants (lots of hornworts, some anubias, java moss, java fern, driftwood) and white gravel. A snail found its way in and I easily have 40 now (most of which are babies).
It's been fully cycled for a few weeks but I've been worried about my pH and hardness. But now my ph has been stabile at 7.4. I keep temp around 78.
My MAIN concert is hardness. My GH is around 12 degrees and my KH is around 5 degrees. I use my tap water and it seems there are mixed opinions on whether or not this is suitable for both plants and my fish. But most my plants seem to be fine in most conditions.
I want to get two pea puffers. As long as my hardness is relatively stable, think it's ready for them? Or is my tap water too hard?

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TimeHalt said:
My MAIN concert is hardness. My GH is around 12 degrees and my KH is around 5 degrees. I use my tap water and it seems there are mixed opinions on whether or not this is suitable for both plants and my fish. But most my plants seem to be fine in most conditions.
Not a water geek who measures their water parameters much, but all i can say is let the water age in your aquarium to get it to be soft? I use alot of driftwood and Indian Almond Leaves to drop the pH but I never cared about my water's GH and KH, and I have been doing fine for 3 years.

My first tank was not cycled, and all i did was put in driftwood, plants, washed gravel and fishes and a filter. i actually don't think GH and KH affects your fishes unless it's obnoxiously high. If it is too high, your fishes will show signs of discomfort, but changing your water once a week won't allow it. That's my take.

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you'll be fine. Your pH is pretty much spot on to what you need. I think the biggest issue is keeping it consistent versus risking the pH/GH/KH fluctuate by trying to supplement with anything. That's what can really cause issues to fish.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I never really paid much attention to gh/kph or whatever they're called. As long as your pH is stable, you should be fine. Furthermore, I don't recommend trying to tamper with the pH with all the weird solutions they sell at the store. Could do more harm than good.

New Threads