Is My Tank Ready For Fish? Important

1. PLECO657 Member Member

My 55 has been setup for about 4 weeks now. When I first set it up I added beneficial bacteria to help it get started and I also seeded it with my canister filter from my 46 bowfront. I've been putting in fish food every other day to produce some ammonia for the bacteria and the ammonia test is coming out at 0 ppm. It did get really cloudy for a day but I've read that that means it has cycled. The thing is. The stocking is going to be shell dwellers and I've been told to add them all in at the same time because they're quite territorial and if I don't it might be like a "home court advantage" but I don't want to cause a ammonia spike. Do you guys think if I add them all at the same time it will cause a spike even with the tank size and a cascade 1000 canister filter (rated for 100 gallons)?? Also I'm only adding 8 Multis so a really small fish to this and hoping to start a large colony. Please respond, the fish are getting ordered tomorrow. Thank you!

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

3. Josh Summers Member Member

If u used already cycled media. Your tank should be cycled right away. I've always took media from a couple different filters and put in the new filter then used tank water from a water change. And added fish immediately. Beneficial bacteria will only grow as much as needed to consume the ammonia. The heavier the bio load the more bacteria that grows. I over feed my fish alot. But my filter is able to handle it cause it used to the bio load. I tried feeding less and I got spikes cause there wasn't enough ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. So now I feed smaller meals but more often. What have you water parameters been as you've been testing? I was wondering if the fish food was enough ammonia to got a BB.

4. PLECO657 Member Member

So far my tests has been showing up with no ammonia but I didn't learn that i need to feed the bacteria till a few days AFTER I put in the bacteria. But every other day I'll drop in a large pinch of food to cause some ammonia and my tests are still coming out as 0 ppm. I just need to know if it will be safe to add these 8 small fish. There 10 dollars each so I can't afford to lose any.