Is My Tank Ready For Fish Yet?

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wanna say no but I'm questioning. I've been fishless cycling my 37g tank for a little over a month now I think. I mean I haven't actually been keeping track of how long it's been because that makes it easier for me to not put fish in it. I HAVE been keeping track of the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

It went through both an ammonia spike and a nitrite spike but it still has ammonia. I've been dosing it at 2-4ppm. 4 at the start then 2 after the nitrite spike ended. It eats up about 1ppm of ammonia per day. Would it be okay to put 5 glowlight tetras in there?

I'm okay with waiting longer if I need to. But how do I get it to process more ammonia? Do I bump it back up to 4ppm and just wait?

Also tank temp is set to 82F. I'll bring it down to 80F when I put the fish in there.

To clarify it's at 1ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 60ppm or more nitrates. It's been a few days since I tested for nitrates.

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MikeRad89 said:
Yep, I'd lightly stock it with some tetras.
How long should I wait to start adding the rest of my intended stock after that? And how many at a time? I'm planning on adding a school of von rio tetras, a honey gourami, and a longfin lemon bristlenose pleco.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would wait until the parameters go to 0, 0, small amount of nitrates after the initial stocking.

This may be a few days, or weeks. The parameters would dictate my decision to add fish.

83jase

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hunter1 said:
I would wait until the parameters go to 0, 0, small amount of nitrates after the initial stocking.

This may be a few days, or weeks. The parameters would dictate my decision to add fish.

Agreed.

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay guys. I'll just wait it out. I really don't wanna risk hurting my fish. Thanks for all the feedback.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recommend a sword or Val for one side of the tank for hiding places, but i’m A plant nut.

Ellie Winters

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hunter1 said:
I recommend a sword or Val for one side of the tank for hiding places, but i’m A plant nut.
Already got it covered. (;
Pardon the algae. Our doors are made of glass and there was nowhere else to stick it. But I'll clean it off before the fish go in there.

Forgot to mention I'll probably get some frogbit or dwarf water lettuce for the top. I read gouramis like top coverage. I initially put a small bit of duckweed in there but it just stuck the the filter intake. /:

Attachments

BloonStuff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have frogbit and salvinia floating in mine. The salvinia grows like a weed and is super pretty but I really like the frogbit. Feels like proper little lily pads. Even if mine isn’t doing too well right now but I suspect that’s the high ammonia levels during my cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom