Is My Tank Ready For A New Betta Fish? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Aintzane, Apr 4, 2019.

1. AintzaneNew MemberMember

Hello everyone! First, I'd like to apologize for any mistakes I may be making when it comes to betta fish, while I'm not completely clueless when it comes to fish, this will be my first ever betta fish! I just recently (a little over a month) bought a brand new TopFin 3.5 gallon Enchant fish tank (unfortunately I couldn't afford the more expensive 5-gallon tank, but I'm saving up for it!)
    I added some gravel from my already cycled and established 20 gallon tank (it's 6 years strong and only lost a few fish!), and added some BB (aquarium safe sponges I had in there) to the filter, I ghost fed it by adding some fish food and testing/doing water changes until my Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0 ppm, Nitrate is 10 ppm (is that too high? I'm not sure). My temperature is a constant 78 degrees and everything seems to be fine visually?
    So now I'm wondering if it's safe to go ahead and get a betta fish, and possibly a snail, and add it to the aquarium? Any advice would be really helpful! Thank you all!

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

The nitrates are fine, usually 20ppm is considered a level that you should avoid exceeding by too much, then you'd do a waterchange, but your tank sounds fine to me.

3. AintzaneNew MemberMember

Thank you! I'd also like to mention I'm using test strips to measure/test my water, I heard that they're not the best, but unfortunately the API water testing kit is way above my budget, do you happen to know some other reliable tester that don't cost so much?

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately, in order to get a test kit that gives you a good accurate reading of what your water chemistry is, that involves a bit of money to invest in a decent one.

5. AintzaneNew MemberMember

Alright, thank you! I'll have to save up for the API, but for now, I'm using some test strips! Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

6. abarbWell Known MemberMember