Is My Tank Ready For A Bristlenose Pleco?

1. C

Craig Well Known Member Member

is it 2 early 2 get my bristlenose ive had my tank for just over a month ??? also findin it hard 2 find a bristlenose i dont want 2 get a pleco when will the green algae start appearin?? i hav a little brown algae but my guppies and gourami eat most of it. Also hoping to get a cory catfish soon

help would be appreciated, thanks C W

2. M

Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hi there!Welcome to the world of fishies ;D
    How big is your tank and how many fish do you have in it already?
    Should be ok providing it isn't overstocked.

3. f

fletch Member Member

you dont need to wait until you have algae in your tank to get a catfish. you just feed them algae pellets (large, brown, sinking tablets). I got my sucking catfish when i had to move my tank into the sun for a while. It was plastered in algae and overnight he got rid of it all

4. F

FishFan Member Member

I don't see any algea in my tank, so I continue to feed my 2 plecos wafers. There is algea-I'd imagine-because the items in my tank are slippery...but, I don't see any. I add the liquid bacteria, but can my plecos be that good? They're quite large, so maybe they're just pigs? Any help appreciated :)

5. OP
    OP
    C

i have a 63 litre (16gallon tank) i hav 4 fish in it at the minute 1 golden gourami 1 red fire gourami and 2 male guppies i want 2 get the bristlenose and cory catfish would that b ok?????

6. OP
    OP
    C

i worked out that i should b able 2 get at least 15 fish in my tank

7. F

FishFan Member Member

The rule of thumb I've always been told and read about is 1" of fish per gallon of tank. In other words, I have a 55 gallon tank, so I can have 55 1" fish...LOL Not realistic, but in general, possible, I suppose. For my tank, I allow about 40-45 (depending on size). Have fun with your new hobby-it's addicting!!! :)

8. OP
    OP
    C

im addicted already!!!