Is My Tank Ready For A Betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ishaboutfish, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ishaboutfish

ishaboutfishNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a previous betta in my 5.5 gallon who recently passed due to dropsy. I did a full water change and rinsed the gravel and filter media. Is this enough to prevent dropsy in another betta? The tank is heated with a preset aqueon 50 watt and filtered by an aqueon quietflow 10 with a prefilter sponge around the intake. Water tests came back with pH 7.5, ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, and nitrate at what looks to be 5 ppm. Is this good enough to introduce a new betta or do I need to replace every thing in the tank due to the last fish's death? I can't start the tank over because I have a single oto (he came from a bigger tank that crashed after 2 years) and two bumblebee nerites in the tank already.

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    I don't personally believe that dropsy is super contagious. I watched a fish veterinarian explain it as polysystic (spelling) kidney disease. I had one goldfish die from it and other than a normal water change I didn't anything. None of my others have developed it. I think there is a genetic component.

Sounds to me like you should be fine as long as your nitrogen cycle is okay.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Dropsy isn't a disease in of itself, so it is not contagious. Dropsy occurs due to the fish having organ failure. Most likely kidney failure

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Dropsy can indeed be caused by an organ disease or failure, but it can also be caused be internal infection, which is why meds like Kanaplex can be effective.
    I've had fish come down with dropsy and no one else get infected or sick. Some fish with weaker immune systems might contract an infection to something the other fish aren't affected by. Maybe that fish had a bad organ. I don't know. Because we don't know the cause without a vet's analysis, it's hard to say what measures you should take to prevent it happening again. I doubt you need to worry about it because it's more than likely it was an isolated problem.

However, a full tank cleaning should be (probably more than) enough. Just remember you'll need to watch the cycle in case it got interrupted.