Is My Tank Ready For A Betta?

Jenn90

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys,

I posted this on another thread about a week ago but need some more advice. I am doing a fish in cycle in a flex 15 gallon. It has been 3 weeks and there is no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates. The tank is planted so I don't know if that has any effect as to whether there is Nitrate just at a smaller level? There are 4 zebra danio in the tank as well.

Is it normal for the cycle to take this long? It's been 3 weeks and nothing seems to be changing. I have done no water changes and test the water using the API fresh water kit.

Eventually I want to get a betta and a some sort of algae eater (not a snail). Is it okay to buy a betta now or will there be a spike and kill my betta?

Let me know what you think.
20190719_175611.jpg
20190719_174434.jpg
20190719_174517.jpg
20190719_174533.jpg
20190719_174556.jpg

Jenn90

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Should I add another Zebra fish? Am I doing something wrong? 3 weeks seems like a long time to go with no changes.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
It should have some form of nitrates in order to be considered "cycled". Nitrates are natural in an environment. You want them, usually at a lower amount.

Zero ammonia and niTRITES are good, but you'll want to get some nitrates in the water before you can consider it cycled.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Should I add another Zebra fish? Am I doing something wrong? 3 weeks seems like a long time to go with no changes.
Why would you want to add more?

Watch this if you want to know other ways to cycle an aquarium:

Last edited:

Jenn90

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It should have some form of nitrates in order to be considered "cycled". Nitrates are natural in an environment. You want them, usually at a lower amount.

Zero ammonia and niTRITES are good, but you'll want to get some nitrates in the water before you can consider it cycled.
Hey, so just continue to wait it out? I'm thinking that there should be a spike soon. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, so just continue to wait it out? I'm thinking that there should be a spike soon. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it
In order to cycle an aquarium, you need to have an ammonia source. Watching the video that I provided would greatly benefit you.

This video is helpful in explaining what the nitrogen cycle is:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenn90

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In order to cycle an aquarium, you need to have an ammonia source. Watching the video that I provided would greatly benefit you.
The 4 zebra fish should be producing ammonia. Which is why I haven't done any water changes as to not mess up the cycle.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The 4 zebra fish should be producing ammonia. Which is why I haven't done any water changes as to not mess up the cycle.
They don't produce a whole lot of bioload. Besides, I don't recommend beginners using fish to cycle their aquarium.

Top Bottom