Is my tank overstocked?!

alfie123fish

Hi I have a 10 gallon tank, in the tank i have 2 female fighter fish. And 6 neon tetra and thinking about getting some amano shrimp, is this ok?

ProudPapa

The shrimp don't have a very large bioload, so I don't think that would be a problem, though I certainly wouldn't add any more fish.

When you said "2 female fighter fish" I assume you're referring to bettas? You didn't ask, but that's playing with fire. The females can be just as aggressive as the males, so it might not end well. Some people keep them in "sororities", with multiple females, but that's with more fish to spread out aggression in relatively large tanks with ample hiding places, and even then they don't always work.

I'm not saying to immediately separate them, but I'd strongly recommend keeping a close eye on them, and have a backup plan if they do become aggressive as they get older.

alfie123fish

Ok thank you, I was think 6 amano shrimp?

TheAnglerAquarist

Ok thank you, I was think 6 amano shrimp?
After you seperate the female bettas, sure but neons do better in 20+ but you should be fine

alfie123fish

i have a 10 G tank i was thinking 6 neon tetra 1 female fighter fish and a half a dozen shrimp is they any other fish you reccomend the same size as a fighter fish for a center fish

thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Papasmerf73
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
AliX33x