Is my tank overstocked?

PhantomTetra88

Hey guys.

So i’ve had my 25 gallon high aquarium for about 5 months now, I started with 4 phantom tetras, 9 zebra danios, and a Bristlenose pleco. Slowly I added 3 nerite snails, 4 more phantom tetras, and a fire red dwarf gourami that needed a new home. Now there’s also 4 emerald corys. I know that I am well above the inch per gallon rule, but my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all zero and always have been. I do a 25-30% water change once a week, and i’m using a fluvial canister filter that’s rated for up to an 80 gallon. the tank is planted and I watch it throughout the day and have only observed everyone getting along and healthy behaviour. the BN has his own cave too (he’s a male) so that the corys don’t bug him.

so in total it’s
- 9 zebra danios
- 8 phantom tetras
-1 fire red dwarf gourami
- 1 BN pleco
-4 emerald corys
- 3 nerite snails

Pfrozen

I wouldn't add any more. You are good if your parameters are good and the fish aren't stressed. I'm a bit surprised that your dwarf isn't territorial with 17 other fish in the same space as him but if it works it works

Upvote 0

PhantomTetra88

I wouldn't add any more. You are good if your parameters are good and the fish aren't stressed. I'm a bit surprised that your dwarf isn't territorial with 17 other fish in the same space as him but if it works it works
I have duckweed in the tank so he tends to just hang out beneath it and he plays in the air stone bubbles and he seems to pay no one any mind. the other fish are very respectful, always seem to move for him, but he’s never chased anyone.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I have a Flame Dwarf Gourami too and he is more of a scaredy cat than a menace as a lot of other DGs are. I'd say that if you're monitoring your parameters and fish are happy and healthy, you're good. I definitely would stay on top of WC and don't add any more.

On another note, do you have Red or Black Phantom Tetras? I'm considering getting them for one of my tanks.

Upvote 0

PhantomTetra88

I have a Flame Dwarf Gourami too and he is more of a scaredy cat than a menace as a lot of other DGs are. I'd say that if you're monitoring your parameters and fish are happy and healthy, you're good. I definitely would stay on top of WC and don't add any more.

On another note, do you have Red or Black Phantom Tetras? I'm considering getting them for one of my tanks.
I have four of each! they school together and don’t seem to differentiate between one another.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I have four of each! they school together and don’t seem to differentiate between one another.

That's awesome!

Not to hijack your post, but I'm curious about your Reds...how deep are their colors? I've been trying to find Chili Rasboras for a tank I'm stocking, but can't find them anywhere. I was considering getting a shoal of the Red Phantoms as an interesting alternative, but my concern is how deep the color is. I've found that some of the Red fish that I see online as really deep reds (like Cherry Barbs) in person are not really very red and are much more washed out.

Upvote 0

PhantomTetra88

That's awesome!

Not to hijack your post, but I'm curious about your Reds...how deep are their colors? I've been trying to find Chili Rasboras for a tank I'm stocking, but can't find them anywhere. I was considering getting a shoal of the Red Phantoms as an interesting alternative, but my concern is how deep the color is. I've found that some of the Red fish that I see online as really deep reds (like Cherry Barbs) in person are not really very red and are much more washed out.

They were definitely pretty dull when I picked them up from my LFS, but after a few blood worm meals and settling in they’ve started to get more colour. I wouldn’t describe them as deeply red though, more of a orange-red tinge, and a deep red dorsal fin.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheTetraKeeper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mooky
  • Question
Replies