Question Is my tank overstocked?

XFY

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I just wanted to know does anyone think that my tank is overstocked? I currently have 4 Angelfish(all about 3 inches), 2 Gourami(one is 1.5 inches and the other one is 2.5), 2 German Blue Rams(1 inch), 1 bristle nose pleco(about 3 inches), 3 Molly's ( 1.5 inch) in a 36 gallon tank. All of them have been getting along great for almost 4 months now and I have plenty of hiding places and room to swim in the tank. Would love to hear your opinions, and would I be able to get one or two more fish like a Corry cat.

Tristen

Reaction score
XFY said:
Hi I just wanted to know does anyone think that my tank is overstocked? I currently have 4 Angelfish(all about 3 inches), 2 Gourami(one is 1.5 inches and the other one is 2.5), 2 German Blue Rams(1 inch), 1 bristle nose pleco(about 3 inches), 3 Molly's ( 1.5 inch). All of them have been getting along great for almost 4 months now and I have plenty of hiding places and room to swim in the tank. Would love to hear your opinions, and would I be able to get one or two more fish like a Corry cat.
How bigs the tank

OP
XFY

XFY

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tristen said:
How bigs the tank
Oops sorry my bad forgot to add that...they are in a 36 gallon

Tristen

Reaction score
XFY said:
Oops sorry my bad forgot to add that...they are in a 36 gallon
Yes it is overstocked. Don’t add more fish. Either remove a few or make sure you keep up with you water changes all the time.

OP
XFY

XFY

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tristen said:
Yes it is overstocked. Don’t add more fish. Either remove a few or make sure you keep up with you water changes all the time.
I do water changes about 35 percent ish every week, and thanks for letting me know I might give a friend one of my angelfish soon who has a much bigger tank.

Tristen

Reaction score
XFY said:
I do water changes about 35 percent ish every week, and thanks for letting me know I might give a friend one of my angelfish soon who has a much bigger tank.
Yeah sounds like a good idea. Removing an angel fish and the mollies would probably make the tank stocking much more reasonable. Still overstocked because I’ve heard that BN Plecos have a really high bioload. Defiantly sounds like an interesting tank though. I have been trying to decide how I wanna stock my 40 gallon, but I’ve been struggling for ages now.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As previously stated it is a bit overstocked and yeah plecos poop a lot. I wish it was easy to just buy a bigger tank but then you'll also have to wait a while for that new tank to settle but it might not be a bad idea in the near future to move up to a 55 or 75. Have you tried using an aquarium calculator to get an estimate of how overstocked you actually are because at least that way you can incorporate your filters, substrate depth, etc.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
XFY said:
I'd go with 50% wc each week. Below the dilution of nitrogen compunds is not really given. I also say it's overstocked. I'd let go of the Gourami and the Mollies at least, maybe also of the Rams.

And no offence, but calculators are not worth much. They often don't take behaviour and actual bioload in account and only go by fish lengths and theoretical filter capacity. They are not reliable.

New Threads