• Total voters

Warrion004

Reaction score

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you choose to increase the temp don’t do it all at once. Increase by a degree each hour at the fastest. Slower is better.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
I disagree. Ich doesn't affect the mouth, but rather affects the fins of the fish. This could be the start of columnaris.
from my understanding columnaris is a fast overnight death type thing. This bubble as been there for about 3 weeks or so

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
I disagree. Ich doesn't affect the mouth, but rather affects the fins of the fish. This could be the start of columnaris.
Fom my understanding columnaris is a fast acting death. This bubble has been there for about 3 weeks or so.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
From my understanding columnaris is a fast acting disease. This has been on the fish or about 2 or 3 weeks.

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kurtcordog said:
2 Peral
1 Glofish
1 Zebra
1 Glowlight
Definitely too small for those fish and they all need their own schools of 6 (except for the glofish; it'll school with other zebra danios). The white spot could be some sort of fungus.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First welcome to fishlore! Now as you been told there are fish problems. Don’t worry about that. This happens to many beginners. What type of filtration are you using and how often are you changing water. The illness is probably due to water quality. So change half the water in the tank. Due you know the correct way to do this? Being the tank is new you will need to do this daily for a few weeks to build up bacteria in the tank.
Ways to change the water would be to either add prime to your new water or get a 5 gal bucket and fill it with water. Add a heater for temp if needed. Let water sit for a day than use it for water changing. Good luck .

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
First welcome to fishlore! Now as you been told there are fish problems. Don’t worry about that. This happens to many beginners. What type of filtration are you using and how often are you changing water. The illness is probably due to water quality. So change half the water in the tank. Due you know the correct way to do this? Being the tank is new you will need to do this daily for a few weeks to build up bacteria in the tank.
Ways to change the water would be to either add prime to your new water or get a 5 gal bucket and fill it with water. Add a heater for temp if needed. Let water sit for a day than use it for water changing. Good luck .
I'm using the filter on the Fluval Spec V. I've only changed the watter once. ‍♂ My dad has been my main mentor but obvioulsy we need to do some more water changes. I use prime in my changes.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FeederGuppies said:
Definitely too small for those fish and they all need their own schools of 6 (except for the glofish; it'll school with other zebra danios). The white spot could be some sort of fungus.
I think I should give away the GloFish because he is abit of a bully, I got the little hut/cave thing recentyly for the other fish to chill or hide but none want to go in it? Any suggestions or do danios just not like relaxing

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kurtcordog said:
I think I should give away the GloFish because he is abit of a bully, I got the little hut/cave thing recentyly for the other fish to chill or hide but none want to go in it? Any suggestions or do danios just not like relaxing
Are you planning to get a bigger tank? If not, give away the glofish. If so, then it might just need more of its own kind. I don't have any experience with danios, but they might just not like to hide that much.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FeederGuppies said:
Are you planning to get a bigger tank? If not, give away the glofish. If so, then it might just need more of its own kind. I don't have any experience with danios, but they might just not like to hide that much.
I’m not planning on it, this is my first real tank and I’m only in 10th grade. I know where to take him (a LFS) but it’s kinda sad

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
I wouldn't say that you should never listen to employees at a big chain pet store. Some of them may actually know about fishkeeping.
My local Petco staff is very knowledgeable. Petsmart, not so much. I trust Petco folks more knowing that I'll see most of them at local animal shows. If the habitats in the stores are taken care of you can have more confidence in the people taking care of them.

Kurtcordog said:
76 F

Yes, could the over stockage be the issue?
The size of the tank with all those fish is most likely stressing them out. Water quality can't be great. More room and extra filtration would help.

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kurtcordog said:
I’m not planning on it, this is my first real tank and I’m only in 10th grade. I know where to take him (a LFS) but it’s kinda sad
Unfortunately, none of those fish are fit for a 5 gallon... But, 5-6 celestial pearl danios (not the same as pearl danios) and 2 male endlers would do good in that tank. Or red cherry shrimp. I'm sorry that you can't keep your fish, it's horrible when pet store employees spread misinformation.

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should try adding filter sponge in the "in tank" filter. More surface area=more BB (beneficial bacteria). And you only rinse out the sponge and reuse. Instead of throwing away all your BB when you change the cartridge.
I have a schools of 6 zebra danio, same of x-ray tetra, and 8 neons in my 75 gallon. The tetras inhabit the top and mid sections while the danio stay at the top and are always moving. They also seem to enjoy hanging out at the outlet for my sump. Sometimes one will take a ride down the outlet into the sump.
Welcome, enjoy your fish.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KaptainStache said:
You should try adding filter sponge in the "in tank" filter. More surface area=more BB (beneficial bacteria). And you only rinse out the sponge and reuse. Instead of throwing away all your BB when you change the cartridge.
I have a schools of 6 zebra danio, same of x-ray tetra, and 8 neons in my 75 gallon. The tetras inhabit the top and mid sections while the danio stay at the top and are always moving. They also seem to enjoy hanging out at the outlet for my sump. Sometimes one will take a ride down the outlet into the sump.
Welcome, enjoy your fish.
Should I rinse it out with tap water?

FeederGuppies said:
Unfortunately, none of those fish are fit for a 5 gallon... But, 5-6 celestial pearl danios (not the same as pearl danios) and 2 male endlers would do good in that tank. Or red cherry shrimp. I'm sorry that you can't keep your fish, it's horrible when pet store employees spread misinformation.
Thank you, I gave my Glofish to a friend. That fish was a bully so it should help a lot.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kurtcordog said:
Should I rinse it out with tap water?
No, the chlorine will kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria. You want to rinse in old tank water.

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sheldon13 said:
No, the chlorine will kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria. You want to rinse in old tank water.
I actually have an Reverse Osmosis tap in my house, could I use that?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No it’s best to rinse in water change water. Ro water will work but it’s kind of expensive to use. Are you using ro water for the tank?

Kurtcordog

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
No it’s best to rinse in water change water. Ro water will work but it’s kind of expensive to use. Are you using ro water for the tank?
Half tap half RO

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kurtcordog said:
Half tap half RO
Definitely rinse in old tank water.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads