• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kurtcordog

Crispii

What kind of danios are they?

Kurtcordog

Crispii

1. A 5 gallon aquarium is too small for these fish.

2. All of the fish you mentioned prefers to be in a group of at least 6+ of the same species.

Warrion004

Upgrade to a 30 gallon in the future

Atomicfish

The suggested rule is one inch of fish per gallon. And 5.5 gallon tanks are very small.

Crispii

Atomicfish said:
The suggested rule is one inch of fish per gallon. And 5.5 gallon tanks are very small.
The inch per gallon rule is flawed and it should not be considered. The inch per gallon doesn't tell you about compatibility, aggression, potential size of the fish, temperature between species, diet, or anything. All it does is tell you to put fish in an aquarium that can be housed according to gallon size. Seriously, would you want to put a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon aquarium?

Kurtcordog

Thank you all, I'm only 16 and still learing. I guess I was fool to listen to PetSupermarket

"Yeah they'll be fine. Different breeds don't matter."

Warrion004

Kurtcordog said:
Thank you all, I'm only 16 and still learing. I guess I was fool to listen to PetSupermarket

"Yeah they'll be fine. Different breeds don't matter."
Yeah never listen to petco petsmart or pet supermarket employees they most of the time have no idea what they are talking about and do you know about the nitrogen cycle

Crispii

Warrion004 said:
Yeah never listen to petco petsmart or pet supermarket employees they most of the time have no idea what they are talking about
I wouldn't say that you should never listen to employees at a big chain pet store. Some of them may actually know about fishkeeping.

Warrion004

Crispii said:
I wouldn't say that you should never listen to employees at a big chain pet store. Some of them may actually know about fishkeeping.
I most of the time don’t though unless they say that oscars can’t go in a bowl because my little brother has a betta in a bowl (and that’s not ok) but when we got this betta he wanted a Oscar

Warrion004

It could be the start of ich what temperature is the water

Do you have a heater?

Kurtcordog

Warrion004 said:
76 F

Warrion004 said:
Do you have a heater?
Yes, could the over stockage be the issue?

Warrion004

I could be but I would turn the heater up to 82 degrees Fahrenheit just in case it is ich because ish likes colder temperatures then get ApI ich cure and cure it just in case it is ich

Kurtcordog

Warrion004 said:
I could be but I would turn the heater up to 82 degrees Fahrenheit just in case it is ich because ish likes colder temperatures then get ApI ich cure and cure it just in case it is ich
Do you think that 82 might be too high for Danios and snails?

Warrion004

I had to cure ich a few weeks ago it’ll be fine temporarily and is it eating ok

Kurtcordog

It is eating great, should I go straight to the API cure or wait and see how the tempature does

Warrion004

I would wait to see if it spreads then turn the temperature up and use apI ich cure
I also would take a picture of it and show it to someone at your lfs (local fish store preferably not petco pet smart or pet supermarket) and see what they say

Crispii

Warrion004 said:
I disagree. Ich doesn't affect the mouth, but rather affects the fins of the fish. This could be the start of columnaris.

Warrion004

Oh and you might want to research the nitrogen cycle

Sheldon13

If you choose to increase the temp don’t do it all at once. Increase by a degree each hour at the fastest. Slower is better.

Kurtcordog

Crispii said:
I disagree. Ich doesn't affect the mouth, but rather affects the fins of the fish. This could be the start of columnaris.
from my understanding columnaris is a fast overnight death type thing. This bubble as been there for about 3 weeks or so

Kurtcordog

Crispii said:
Fom my understanding columnaris is a fast acting death. This bubble has been there for about 3 weeks or so.

Kurtcordog

Crispii said:
From my understanding columnaris is a fast acting disease. This has been on the fish or about 2 or 3 weeks.

FeederGuppies

Kurtcordog said:
2 Peral
1 Glofish
1 Zebra
1 Glowlight
Definitely too small for those fish and they all need their own schools of 6 (except for the glofish; it'll school with other zebra danios). The white spot could be some sort of fungus.

86 ssinit

First welcome to fishlore! Now as you been told there are fish problems. Don’t worry about that. This happens to many beginners. What type of filtration are you using and how often are you changing water. The illness is probably due to water quality. So change half the water in the tank. Due you know the correct way to do this? Being the tank is new you will need to do this daily for a few weeks to build up bacteria in the tank.
Ways to change the water would be to either add prime to your new water or get a 5 gal bucket and fill it with water. Add a heater for temp if needed. Let water sit for a day than use it for water changing. Good luck .

Kurtcordog

86 ssinit said:
First welcome to fishlore! Now as you been told there are fish problems. Don’t worry about that. This happens to many beginners. What type of filtration are you using and how often are you changing water. The illness is probably due to water quality. So change half the water in the tank. Due you know the correct way to do this? Being the tank is new you will need to do this daily for a few weeks to build up bacteria in the tank.
Ways to change the water would be to either add prime to your new water or get a 5 gal bucket and fill it with water. Add a heater for temp if needed. Let water sit for a day than use it for water changing. Good luck .
I'm using the filter on the Fluval Spec V. I've only changed the water once. ‍♂ My dad has been my main mentor but obvioulsy we need to do some more water changes. I use prime in my changes.

Kurtcordog

FeederGuppies said:
Definitely too small for those fish and they all need their own schools of 6 (except for the glofish; it'll school with other zebra danios). The white spot could be some sort of fungus.
I think I should give away the GloFish because he is abit of a bully, I got the little hut/cave thing recentyly for the other fish to chill or hide but none want to go in it? Any suggestions or do danios just not like relaxing

FeederGuppies

Kurtcordog said:
I think I should give away the GloFish because he is abit of a bully, I got the little hut/cave thing recentyly for the other fish to chill or hide but none want to go in it? Any suggestions or do danios just not like relaxing
Are you planning to get a bigger tank? If not, give away the glofish. If so, then it might just need more of its own kind. I don't have any experience with danios, but they might just not like to hide that much.

Kurtcordog

FeederGuppies said:
Are you planning to get a bigger tank? If not, give away the glofish. If so, then it might just need more of its own kind. I don't have any experience with danios, but they might just not like to hide that much.
I’m not planning on it, this is my first real tank and I’m only in 10th grade. I know where to take him (a LFS) but it’s kinda sad

KaptainStache

Crispii said:
My local Petco staff is very knowledgeable. Petsmart, not so much. I trust Petco folks more knowing that I'll see most of them at local animal shows. If the habitats in the stores are taken care of you can have more confidence in the people taking care of them.

Kurtcordog said:
76 F

Yes, could the over stockage be the issue?
The size of the tank with all those fish is most likely stressing them out. Water quality can't be great. More room and extra filtration would help.

FeederGuppies

Kurtcordog said:
I’m not planning on it, this is my first real tank and I’m only in 10th grade. I know where to take him (a LFS) but it’s kinda sad
Unfortunately, none of those fish are fit for a 5 gallon... But, 5-6 celestial pearl danios (not the same as pearl danios) and 2 male endlers would do good in that tank. Or red cherry shrimp. I'm sorry that you can't keep your fish, it's horrible when pet store employees spread misinformation.

KaptainStache

You should try adding filter sponge in the "in tank" filter. More surface area=more BB (beneficial bacteria). And you only rinse out the sponge and reuse. Instead of throwing away all your BB when you change the cartridge.
I have a schools of 6 zebra danio, same of x-ray tetra, and 8 neons in my 75g. The tetras inhabit the top and mid sections while the danio stay at the top and are always moving. They also seem to enjoy hanging out at the outlet for my sump. Sometimes one will take a ride down the outlet into the sump.
Welcome, enjoy your fish.

Kurtcordog

KaptainStache said:
You should try adding filter sponge in the "in tank" filter. More surface area=more BB (beneficial bacteria). And you only rinse out the sponge and reuse. Instead of throwing away all your BB when you change the cartridge.
I have a schools of 6 zebra danio, same of x-ray tetra, and 8 neons in my 75g. The tetras inhabit the top and mid sections while the danio stay at the top and are always moving. They also seem to enjoy hanging out at the outlet for my sump. Sometimes one will take a ride down the outlet into the sump.
Welcome, enjoy your fish.
Should I rinse it out with tap water?

FeederGuppies said:
Unfortunately, none of those fish are fit for a 5 gallon... But, 5-6 celestial pearl danios (not the same as pearl danios) and 2 male endlers would do good in that tank. Or red cherry shrimp. I'm sorry that you can't keep your fish, it's horrible when pet store employees spread misinformation.
Thank you, I gave my Glofish to a friend. That fish was a bully so it should help a lot.

Sheldon13

Kurtcordog said:
Should I rinse it out with tap water?
No, the chlorine will kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria. You want to rinse in old tank water.

Kurtcordog

Sheldon13 said:
No, the chlorine will kill a lot of the beneficial bacteria. You want to rinse in old tank water.
I actually have an Reverse Osmosis tap in my house, could I use that?

86 ssinit

No it’s best to rinse in water change water. Ro water will work but it’s kind of expensive to use. Are you using ro water for the tank?

Kurtcordog

86 ssinit said:
No it’s best to rinse in water change water. Ro water will work but it’s kind of expensive to use. Are you using ro water for the tank?
Half tap half RO

Sheldon13

Kurtcordog said:
Half tap half RO
Definitely rinse in old tank water.

Top Bottom