Is my tank overstocked?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First, welcome to Fish Lore

To answer your question: I am sorry, but yes, your tank is overstocked. If the angelfish are still small, that's not a problem now. But they'll soon grow too large for a 16 gallon tank. I'd recommend keeping angelfish in at least a 30 gallon tank (113 liters). Gouramis are also known not to be very compatible with angelfish. When they're all grown, there may be problems between angelfish and the gourami. It's best to keep either angels or gouramis, but not both together. Platies, neons, and serpae tetras are all OK together. I think for a 16 gallon tank that's all you should have in there: neons, serpae tetras, and platies - although even the current numbers of fish in all of the 3 species are too many as for a 16 gallon tank. SO as you can imagine, the angels and the gourami make it even more overstocked that it would be with neons, platies, and serpaes alone. I don't know what fish "Yabbie" is ... lol, but cool name

If you have the money and the time, you could get a 30 gallon tank in which you could keep all of your neons, serpaes, and platies, AND you could have EITHER the 2 angels in there OR the one (or two) gourami(s). But that would be it for fish numbers. You'd also probably need an algae eater too in there. If you can't get at least a 30 gallon tank, maybe you have friends who have space and compatible fish in their tanks to take either your angels or the gourami? If you decide to give them away, make sure they go into good hands. I myself had to give away some of my angels (and still will have to give away more) and it was very hard to do! But I did manage to find them good homes, so that made me feel much better

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi ryan keep a watchful eye on your yabbie. i had one aawww such a cute little interesting fascinating amazing creature, that is until little water scavenging jump up little **** scum of the tank thing started to go fishing and caught my little fish and eat them for breakfast lol,
The bigger they get the more skilled they get at fishing my local fish shop took them in as a customer asked for them but before long he got them returned as they all said they were eating their fish lol,

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll as the same question Isabella asked... What is a yabbie ?
Carol

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
a yabbie is a crayfish/lobster most likely known as an australian yabbie youve probably seen them so i wont ask you to google for pictures as you probaly well know them as something else lol

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
A Yabby is an Australian name for a freshwater crayfish.they live in dams and lakes in the tropical part of the country. it has claws and walks around the bottom of the tank eating all of  flake food and bloodworms the fish have let dropped to the bottom and cleaning the gravel.He sometimes digs holes in the gravel to get to food.

The yabby already killed a neon and ate it,but i havent had any trouble with it since. i really like the yabby, hes interesting to watch. Will i probably have to give him away when he gets to big? At the fish shop there was really big ones probably bigger than my tank.
                                                                                  Ryan.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
It would be entirely up to you if you want to keep it ,as it is your fishtank only you can decide what goes in or out of it! i would suggest if your yabbie hides in a favourite place i.e cave, wood etc, try and move it away from the main decor and plants in the tank, as my own expierence of them is that he climbs up to get a better vantage point for fishing, but then again they are nocturnal so he would climbs the plants at night, but at least he wont be able to during the day. i agree with you they are fascinating things to have in the tank!!

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice. My Yabby dosent really climb plants bercause i think he is a little bit clumsy. He usually gets halfway and then falls off. He dosnt really attack my fish but maybe he does at night. I have 2 fake hollow logs that look real and he hides out in both. My Yabby walks around during the day when the light is on. Is your Yabby scared of the light because mine isnt, he just walks around happily.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi mine did come out during the day i think it was to check out his new home, but then he found a hiding place and rarely came out, i dont have him anymore i gave him back to the petshop

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for all the help. My Yabby is out right now walking around the tank and the light is on.

fishfanatic

Reaction score
Hi Ryan.O. . A good way of figuring out how many fish you can keep is 1" per gal. If you have good filtration and good house keeping you can stretch this but not much. I have kept angels with dwarf , moonlight and pearl gouramies for everwith no problems. Fish like gold fish eels and some others requirer 5 gal per inch because of higher waste production. I have had an electric blue crayfish for 3 yrs and although i have lost a few small fish i find it is a good scavenger and if the food is on the bottom it is good. Angels need high tanks and i have had them up to 5". I agree with Isabella that you should get at least a 30 gal but a55 would be better for your angels and gouramies and your platies.Neons and serpae tetras only in a16 gal.You should also get some scavengers. Cory cats are cool and help clean up the garbage. Plecos are good as well but most will outgrow a 16 gal .You can buy 55 gal starter kits at walmart or most bigger pet stores for 250$ canadian. My motto is bigger the better.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sasha said:
It would be entirely up to you if you want to keep it ,as it is your fishtank only you can decide what goes in or out of it!
Yes Sasha, it is entirely up to Ryan O. what goes in and out of his tank, precisely because it is HIS tank. But it would be wrong of me not to tell him that his tank is overstocked. I am just providing useful information for the benefit of Ryan and for the benefit of his fish - what he'll do with this information is up to him. Since he asked whether we think his tank is overstocked, I have honestly answered him. And the answer is YES - that's a fact. What we like to provide on Fish Lore are facts that are helpful and that will guide Fish Lore members in successful fish-keeping.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Entirely true and i agree with every word.
                                                             But just to let you know you have made a mistake about the comment and"QUOTE you have replied to as it clearly suggests and topic at that point was on his "yabby" not the overstocking it was a bit careless of you to suggest i was critizing your advice to ryan, as myself and ryan were clearly talking about the "crayfish"

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score

The yabby already killed a neon and ate it,but i havent had any trouble with it since. i really like the yabby, hes interesting to watch. Will i probably have to give him away when he gets to big? At the fish shop there was really big ones probably bigger than my tank.
Ryan.
sasha said:
It would be entirely up to you if you want to keep it ,as it is your fishtank only you can decide what goes in or out of it! i would suggest if your yabbie hides in a favourite place i.e cave, wood etc, try and move it away from the main decor and plants in the tank, as my own expierence of them is that he climbs up to get a better vantage point for fishing, but then again they are nocturnal so he would climbs the plants at night, but at least he wont be able to during the day. i agree with you they are fascinating things to have in the tank!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think we've gotten away from the original question Yes the tank is overstockrd Ryan ( now that i know what a Yabby is )16 gallons is a bit small for Angelfish or Gouramis. Maybe you could keep the yabby and the rest. It would make an interesting tank.
On another note: ALL replies will be in a calm and respectful manner or the topic will be locked and that would be a shame since Ryan asked for advice not a conflict. We can all disagree on the type of advice we give but picking at each other is detrimental to our site and our members who come to us for help.
Carol

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan! welcome to Fishlore! I was given a 20 gallon with fish in it already.. then I bought more.. and then I found this site and started learning how to care for my fish. I found out they were overcrowded and wouldn't grow to their full size, and they wouldn't live as long as they would in a larger tank. I also found some of them became aggressive because they were so crowded! Problem was, my daughter and I were too attached to all of them to give them back to the fish store (selfish, I know)..so I started shopping for another tank! Now they are happy, and growing so fast! I love them! I started fishkeeping only a few months ago. Hope you enjoy it is much as I ;D
Denise

p.s.Happy Halloween!

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, I forgot to mention I had to do tons and tons of water changes when my tank was seriously overstocked!! now I'm down to 1 or 2 times a week depending on how much my little girl feeds them lol !
Denise

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yea thanks i dont know if my mum will let me get a new tank but this 1 i got was a birfday present and my birfday was 27 october. i think it will b a while till i get a new tank. i might have 2 get a job

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
happy birthday! that's my kind of birthday present!! yea, I'd just keep doing lots of water changes, and like the others mentioned maybe sell or trade some of your fish to the lfs. good luck!
Denise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom