Is My Tank Overstocked?

1. Ry Bautista

Ry Bautista New Member Member

i upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 55. I have 3 small common goldfish, 5 skirt tetras and 2 large fancy orandas? Is my tank okay and would it be fine to add an albino pleco to my tank ?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Yup. Overstocked. Rehome the commons and the orandas then raise the tetras school to 6 or more and add more community fish. Or rehome every other fish except the orandas. The only fish that can’t stay are the commons. Don’t add anymore fish without fixing this problem.

3. OP
    OP
    Ry Bautista

Alright, I’m gonna rehome the tetras since they nip at my fancy’s tails. What is wrong with the commons? I thought they are both goldfish like the orandas ?

4. bryangar

Commons grow up to 12” or more while orandas up to 8”+. Fsncy and slim bodied goldfish shouldn’t be together since the slim bodied are faster and can out compete the fancies for food. Commons are mostly made for huge tanks or ponds.

5. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

From what I know, common goldfish should only be kept in ponds.

6. bryangar

A tank for a common would be 100-200 gals. but I agree, they should only be placed in ponds.

7. Lagertha

Very few people I imagine have the space for a 200 gallon tank.

Plus OP says she has three commons so how many gallons would three need?!

I’d never keep common goldfish in tanks. I think it’s really cruel. It’s like keeping a huge dog in a tiny room.

8. OP
    OP
    Ry Bautista

2 are commons I got from the fair when I was a kid, I have one really small ryukin but he hasn’t grown probably from a small tank. But I have a 55 now, I work at a fish store so I might donate the tetras but my mom is attached to them and makes me feel bad for wanting to give them away lol

9. Lagertha

In your original post you said you’ve got three commons?

A 55 still isn’t big enough is it?

I’m kind of new to this but I’ve been doing so much research and the people here are so helpful.

I’m under the impression 55 gallons is nowhere near big enough for more than one fancy due to the waste they produce.

Like @bryangar said, a tank for one common should be 100- 200 gallons. Can’t you rehome the goldfish since you work at a fish store? And working at a fish store shouldn’t you know you’re wickedly (dangerously) overstocked?

10. OP
    OP
    Ry Bautista

Yea I said 3 commons but I forgot the ryukin isn’t a common ( he’s still really small so I grouped him) I always thought that it was 20 gallons to start and then another 10 per fish but I guess that was wrong :( I wouldn’t have kept them in a tank if I knew so. I’ve been working at the fish store for 2 weeks, I work mostly with the reptiles and only handle fish when other employees are busy. 55 gallons is perfect for two fancy’s and I have a 300 gph cannister and will be getting another one due to error of the company so I might add that and see if it helps filter the tanks might be overkill tho :(

11. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Yup that's correct. with the fancy goldfish (not the commons) it's 20g for the first fish and then 10g per fish after that.

12. Lagertha

Don’t take my word for it! Like I said I’m still new to this.

From what I’ve been told you can never over filter so I wouldn’t worry about that.

13. bryangar

It sounds like you might have stunted fish. Keeping that many fish in a 20 for a while would cause health problems.
    A ryukin is one of the bigger fancy goldfish.

20 for a fancy is way too small. It’s 40 gallons for your first fish then 20 more for any other fish.

14. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Of course on a forum there will be diferences of opinion, but the pinned guidance on the forum (which I try to use for consistency) advises 20g for the first fancy, and 10g there after. For reference the guidance is here Goldfish Care Sheet.

I'm not a goldfish keeper, and am not claiming to be an expert, but I wonder how you came to your tank size calculation. This is not to challenge you, but rather to gain a better undertanding (and to help the OP who is getting some conflicting advice in this thread).

15. OP
    OP
    Ry Bautista

Thank you both, talking to my parents now about getting a pond since our grass doesn’t grow at all. Going to keep the two fancy’s and ryukin in the 55, I have it with two bubblers and an Aqueon cannister although I think something’s wrong with the cannister it keeps getting air bubbles in the output tube so I’ll figure that out. I have my old 20 gallon I might put the tetras back in there because they are ruining my fancy’s tails. Will the fish still be stunted in growth if I move them in a pond or will they be able to catch up/ grow? are they stunted permantly ?

16. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

commons should really not be housed in an aquarium unless it's several hundred gallons or a pond. It's really sad that they even exist. your filtration sounds pretty good. But you're gonna need a much much larger tank. Also, goldfish in general aren't the best tankmates with tropical fish because of temperature. goldfish are cooler water fish.

17. bryangar

Lets say you have an oranda in a 20 gallon. They can grow in between 8-10 inches. They produce a ton of waste and are really active swimmers. A 20 gal has very little space.

@Goldiemom You have goldfish, whats your opinion?

18. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Omg..so much confusion but some good info. Let’s try to straighten things out...A Ryunkin is still considered a fancy goldfish. Commons can stay in a tank for a short period of time or to winterize in extreme cold. Rule of thumb on fancies or fantails is 20G for one and 10g for additional but that would only go so far. I have 3 fancies in 55G and it is a little over stocked (by a few numbers). My 29G has 2 fancies but need a bigger tank soon. As the fish grow (no, they don’t grow according to the tank) the tanks need to grow too. Single tails really do belong in a pond and should never be mixed with fancies. EVER! Tetras are considered a tropical fish and tropicals should NEVER be with goldfish. Yes, your tank is extremely overstocked I’m afraid. Rehome the single tails, decide if you want tropicals or goldfish and then get rid of the other group. If you want to start a topic on stunting I’d be happy to do that in a separate post. Good luck and have fun!