Is My Tank Overstocked?

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 7.5 gal tank with a male crowntail Betta and one (yellow) mystery snail.
My betta is very well tempered, btw.

I was hoping to add something else to the tank, if I could. But I'm not sure what would be best or how many of them.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

Another mystery snail (a different color hopefully or will they get along better if they're the same?)

2 African Dwarf Frogs

Any kind of shrimp

Kuhli Loach

And I'm open to any other suggestions! I wanted something a bit unique and something that doesnt really need a large group/school to be happy.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love the apple snails in with bettas. One of my bettas was in a ten gallon with two apples. I decided the African dwarf frogs were too cute not to have. Petsmart said they’d be perfectly fine with a Betta. Chased my Betta relentlessly and shredded tail and fins. Took the frogs back.
And the snails don’t care what color their friends are. Can’t wait to see what others suggest! And welcome to fishlore!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gypsy13 said:
I love the apple snails in with bettas. One of my bettas was in a ten gallon with two apples. I decided the African dwarf frogs were too cute not to have. Petsmart said they’d be perfectly fine with a Betta. Chased my Betta relentlessly and shredded tail and fins. Took the frogs back.
And the snails don’t care what color their friends are. Can’t wait to see what others suggest! And welcome to fishlore!
Do you mean mystery snails? Apple snails become too large to be in a ten gallon with a betta. Mystery snails get to be as or larger than a golf ball. Apples get up to a baseball and larger.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Do you mean mystery snails? Apple snails become too large to be in a ten gallon with a betta. Mystery snails get to be as or larger than a golf ball. Apples get up to a baseball and larger.
Nope mine were apple snails. Just meant better filtration and tons of water changes. When Barney died he was a bit bigger than a baseball. Doc said he was old.
I think we all missed Barney. Except maybe Fred. He took over Barney’s favorite spot.
But today, apples aren’t available around here. Only mystery.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can't really keep any fish if that's what you're looking for. I tried, but not many fish can live with a male betta in less than a 10 gallon tank.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No kuhli loaches, you need at least a 20 gallon. You can't keep 2 African frogs in a 10 gallon. They also go after fins. Snails and shrimp are great.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I always had the best of success with snails, but shrimp were too much of food for my bettas.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChristaCat said:
I currently have a 7.5 gal tank with a male crowntail Betta and one (yellow) mystery snail.
My betta is very well tempered, btw.

I was hoping to add something else to the tank, if I could. But I'm not sure what would be best or how many of them.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

Another mystery snail (a different color hopefully or will they get along better if they're the same?)

2 African Dwarf Frogs

Any kind of shrimp

Kuhli Loach

And I'm open to any other suggestions! I wanted something a bit unique and something that doesn't really need a large group/school to be happy.
Kuhli loaches are a no go like what Sarah said and I would only get one African dwarf frog based on the size of the aquarium you have. If you want to keep something with your betta then I would upgrade to a 20 because not many species can live with a betta in a 10 gallon. Especially in a 7.5.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, I wont go for Kuhli loaches or frogs! Im ok with not having a lot of fish in my tank, I only want to make it as comfortable as possible for my Betta.

My filter is pretty powerful and I do regular water changes. There used to be another snail in mY tank and there were no problems, so I'm not too worried about another snail. I was just looking for other suggestions.

If I got some shrimp, how many and what kind should I get? I actually kind of don't think I'd mind if my betta ate some of them haha, but he's pretty chill so he might not even pay attention to them.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gal tank with:

1 male crowntail betta
4 albino corydora catfish
1 mystery snail

Its got a pretty powerful filter with a guard and I do weekly water changes and a monthly clean.
1526449318437.jpg

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, darn. I used the stocking calculator and if I used it right, it didn't alert me to any problems besides the fish getting along. Which, they do.

I used to have 2 cats and 2 snails with my betta but my female snail passed away and now my male seems to be inactive and upset.

I was hoping to put another snail in but I guess I cant huh?

So after she passed I put another cory cat in since I know they do better the more there are.

They are all very active (save for my snail at the moment), dont seem shy, and there have been no fights, nipping, etc.

So is my tank severly overstocked to the point where I need to fix it immediatly? Or what should I do?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChristaCat said:
Well, darn. I used the stocking calculator and if I used it right, it didn't alert me to any problems besides the fish getting along. Which, they do.

I used to have 2 cats and 2 snails with my betta but my female snail passed away and now my male seems to be inactive and upset.

I was hoping to put another snail in but I guess I cant huh?

So after she passed I put another cory cat in since I know they do better the more there are.

They are all very active (save for my snail at the moment), dont seem shy, and there have been no fights, nipping, etc.

So is my tank severly overstocked to the point where I need to fix it immediatly? Or what should I do?
It's not severely overstocked, it is slightly but the main issue is the small footprint vs corys. Move them ASAP.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
It's not severely overstocked, it is slightly but the main issue is the small footprint vs corys. Move them ASAP.
Small footprint? Can you elaborate?

So absolutely cant add another snail? He seems so sad.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another snail wouldn’t “overstock” the tank. Snails are messy but usually have a very small bioload on a tank. As far as footprint, it’s the amount of surface area available for the fish to swim. Since Cory’s are bottom dwellers they need more room to swim sideways rather then up and down. A longer tank, such as a 20 long gives them more room to swim which is what most bottom dwellers need to thrive.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
2006fuzz said:
Another snail wouldn’t “overstock” the tank. Snails are messy but usually have a very small bioload on a tank. As far as footprint, it’s the amount of surface area available for the fish to swim. Since Cory’s are bottom dwellers they need more room to swim sideways rather then up and down. A longer tank, such as a 20 long gives them more room to swim which is what most bottom dwellers need to thrive.
Ok, thank you. I'll get a bigger take, making sure its long for the corys! Itll take a couple weeks though.

Would it be ok to add the snail now before moving them?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChristaCat said:
Ok, thank you. I'll get a bigger take, making sure its long for the corys! Itll take a couple weeks though.

Would it be ok to add the snail now before moving them?
Sounds good!

You can add the snail now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom