Is My Tank Overstocked

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by phantom, Apr 19, 2018.

1. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

How many gallons?!

3. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

In what sized tank?

4. OP
    OP
    phantom

20g

sry edited the post to say what size

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

Long or high and what species of cory?

6. OP
    OP
    phantom

high and green corys

7. Abby565

Green? As in emerald green? Fun fact, emeralds aren't actually cories! They are a different species of catfish that very closely resembles cories. You will need to rehome them, or upgrade because they can reach 3-4 inches and need at least a 30-40g imo. Also They need to be in a school of 6+.
    Once you get rid of the cories, you are fully stocked because of the high bioload of platies. If you have good filtration and you rehome or return 2-3 platies, you can add a couple of other fish, depending on size and compatibility.

8. OP
    OP
    phantom

ok thanks any idea why there called corys if there not

9. Abby565

A lot of people think they are cories. Maybe they were classified as cories when they were discovered?

10. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

A good time of thumb for tank stocking is to calculate the surface area of the tank (length x wixth) in square inches. For every square inch of surface area, you can add 1 inch of fish. For example, if a fish is 6 inches long, it requires 6 square inches of surface area. Keep in mind that this is the adult size of the fish, not the size they are now.

There are exceptions to this rule. Thin fish count for about half as much. Goldfish require more space than their size would suggest. Invertebrates like shrimp don't count. You can add extra fish if you have enough healthy greenery. But, overall, the rule works.

11. Abby565

Eh. There aren't really any good rules of thumb for stocking. Fish have such different requirements about space, compatibility, social requirements, etc. That you just have to research and research to figure out what works.

12. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

I said it's a rule of thumb, not the fish stocking law. It's based on roughly how much air a fish of a given size uses.

13. Abby565

I understand that, but I don't agree that it works for stocking your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice