Is my tank overstocked?

Amphitrite

I've got 1 male betta splendens, 2 Otocinclus (7cm), 6 Corydoras (3cm), and a dozen Black Neon Tetras in my tank. Is that too many fish for a 15 gallon tank? I'm considering adding more tetras, would that be a terrible idea?

I've never kept a tank before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I mostly just got the tank so my poor betta wouldn't be stuck in his 1 litre bowl anymore. He seems calm and happy in the new tank, and gets along very well with the other fish. He's a big fan of the live plants.

musserump09

I would rehome everyone but the Betta. Way to crowded.

jessakitten

you are well overstocked. I would not add anything else at all. you need to be doing huge water changes every week as well.

el337

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the others that it is overstocked and none of those fish are appropriate for that tank size except the betta.

Amphitrite

you are well overstocked. I would not add anything else at all. you need to be doing huge water changes every week as well.

What size tank would you recommend for this community? Also, I've heard that tetras don't put as much strain on a tank because they don't make as much mess. I thought my community would be okay since they're half tetras. I'm already doing 70% weekly water changes, should I be doing more?

el337

A 20 gallon long minimum is recommended for a betta in a community tank. But you have some temp incompatibilities since the otos like cooler water than the betta. What kind of corys do you have?

I'm guessing this tank is uncycled based on your other thread so you should be doing more frequent water changes depending on what your parameters look like.

jessakitten

15 gallons is not that large. you have to think about the adult size of the fish, your filtration and the bioload. you are at *at least* 100% stocking, if not more. 1in of fish per gallon of water. I have 15 fish in my 40 gallon and that's about as many as I could ever be comfy with honestly. for that many? I would go to at least 20 long for all those but do not add more. that will put you between like 65-70% stocking.

Amphitrite

Okay, so let's say I get a 40 gallon tank. I'm a young woman living on my own, whose only available transport is taxI cabs, and no friends or relatives in the area. How am I getting this tank from the store to my apartment???

How do I know where in my apartment I can put this tank without it crashing through the floor once it's full?

Can I get one ordered online and actually have it arrive without any cracks or breaks?

What do I do with my 15g, which I can barely carry when 100% empty? How do I sell it? Do you think the store I bought it from would take it back?

el337

I do think you can get aquariums shipped to your home. If you do an online search, you can check out some sites that ship them.

Can you check with your landlord on what the limits are on the tank size and weight limit allowed?

You can always post on craigslist to sell your 15g. People sell their used tanks on there all the time. You could also check with the store on what their return policy is as well.

jessakitten

I have a 40b, we fit it in a small car (scion tc) with a stand in a box and a glass top as well as with 2 adults.

I don't know what your apartment is built like, so its hard for me to tell you where you can fit it.

I have a 10 gallon that I use as a grow out tank when I have fry and as a QT when I dont. I rarely need QT anymore as I am not adding any fish or anything, so its mainly a nursery for my babies

the fish store will almost 100% certainly not take the tank back. either craigslist it or keep it for an emergency. the filter and heater you have on it will not sustain a 40 gallon tank anyways.

Amphitrite

I have a 40b, we fit it in a small car (scion tc) with a stand in a box and a glass top as well as with 2 adults.

I don't know what your apartment is built like, so its hard for me to tell you where you can fit it.

I have a 10 gallon that I use as a grow out tank when I have fry and as a QT when I dont. I rarely need QT anymore as I am not adding any fish or anything, so its mainly a nursery for my babies

the fish store will almost 100% certainly not take the tank back. either craigslist it or keep it for an emergency. the filter and heater you have on it will not sustain a 40 gallon tank anyways.

I live in Malaysia, so I don't use a water heater. I'm practically straddling the equator, my Betta isn't going to catch a chill. Maybe I'll get a thermometer though. I don't use the air-con at all in the room my tank is in.

jessakitten

oh fun! I use a heater cuz my family thinks the house needs to be freezing. LOL

I def have no idea about the floor substructure for that area, I can't help there

but you can get a tank shipped for sure the suppliers take care to ship carefully and make sure it arrives as it should!

Amphitrite

I think my Corydoras are either real or False Network Cories. It's difficult to tell, and half of them are albinos. Does anyone know how big they get as adults? Right now mine are only 3cm.

I paid the equivalent of $25 for my tank and hood. I'm looking online, and anything decent costs five limbs

Amphitrite

Okay, I'm a chop. I do not in fact have two Otocinclus. What I actually have are two Plecostomus. *facepalm*

Is that better or worse in terms of my overstocking issue?

Five 97

Okay, I'm a chop. I do not in fact have two Otocinclus. What I actually have are two Plecostomus. *facepalm*

Is that better or worse in terms of my overstocking issue?
Worse... their bioload is quite larger than an oto's, do you know what kind of pleco they are?

Amphitrite

Worse... their bioload is quite larger than an oto's, do you know what kind of pleco they are?

The very common kind you see all the time? ???

My camera isn't co-operating, I can't get any shots in focus. :-(

bizaliz3

It is very likely you have the common plecos which are supposed to reach sizes of up to TWO FEET. So they certainly must go due to size alone. But their bio-load is even more astronomical, making it a double whammy.

Amphitrite

It is very likely you have the common plecos which are supposed to reach sizes of up to TWO FEET. So they certainly must go due to size alone. But their bio-load is even more astronomical, making it a double whammy.

O_O

Great. Just lovely. Definitely gonna need that insanely expensive 70g tank then. Maybe I can give them away when they start getting too big, and buy new juveniles? Like, annually? Two feet, jfc.

I should've just stuck to playing Fish Tycoon 2.

bizaliz3

O_O

Great. Just lovely. Definitely gonna need that insanely expensive 70g tank then. Maybe I can give them away when they start getting too big, and buy new juveniles? Like, annually? Two feet, jfc.

unfortunately, I have to say, that is a really bad idea. They will not grow properly in a tank that size. They will be severely stunted and unhealthy, especially after spending a year in such a small tank. (If they even live long enough!!) That is the unfortunate problem, people always think they can just rehome a fish when it outgrows the tank. But it will grow very slow and be stunted and may never outgrow the tank! As a result people falsely believe that they don't need to upgrade. It is a recipe for disaster. Their lives will be cut short significantly, and their quality of life would be miserable. As would the quality of life for the other fish living with such a messy fish in such a small space. Using common goldfish as an example, they are meant to get a foot long (many people don't know that) and they will NEVER reach a foot long in a bowl. It doesn't mean they are adapting to their environment!! It means they are miserable, they are stunted, and they will have their potential 30 year lifespan turn into 6 months to maybe a couple years.

Anyway, If they happen to be bristlenose plecos, that would be a huge improvement. BN plecos only reach about 5 inches on average. But they do have huge bioloads. You should definitely not keep two of them in a 15 gallon! MAYBE one of them, but that is really pushing it, and it would depend on the length and width of the tank.

If you can get a photo somehow, it would really help!

Five 97

O_O

I should've just stuck to playing Fish Tycoon 2.
Even 70g is not appropriate for trinidads (common).
And I wouldn't go about buy juveniles in hopes of returning (rehoming) in the future, something could go wrong, and you wouldn't be able to rehome, and keeping fish with eventual large size in a small tank while there still "juvies", is stunting, which is really quite certainly inevitable.
and very unhealthy for them.

edit: got ninja'd. hope it's not a trinidad.

Amphitrite

What size tank would be big enough for 2 happy adult plecos, plus my other 19 fish? A 200g? :-(

I've never seen such big plecos before, so I had no idea they could get so huge. Does anybody have a pleco that size?

vikingkirken

I'm a newbie here too, and I know it can get discouraging to think you're doing ok and find out you're not :-/ Don't stress too much about it. Do find new homes for the plecos, or return them to the store. Then go get a mid-sized tank for the rest of your fish, and you'll be good, as long as you have a mellow betta.

Also, a longer, shallower tank will distribute the weight better, wherever you choose to put it in your apartment. I see lots of people (including an engineer friend of mine) recommend sitting wherever you want to put your tank to see if things stay stable--or in the case of a larger tank, you and a friend or two. Seems like the weight estimate is usually about 10 pounds per gallon when the tank is filled with decor and water.

Amphitrite

I'm a newbie here too, and I know it can get discouraging to think you're doing ok and find out you're not :-/ Don't stress too much about it. Do find new homes for the plecos, or return them to the store. Then go get a mid-sized tank for the rest of your fish, and you'll be good, as long as you have a mellow betta.

Also, a longer, shallower tank will distribute the weight better, wherever you choose to put it in your apartment. I see lots of people (including an engineer friend of mine) recommend sitting wherever you want to put your tank to see if things stay stable--or in the case of a larger tank, you and a friend or two. Seems like the weight estimate is usually about 10 pounds per gallon when the tank is filled with decor and water.

Thank you so much, I really was getting very disheartened. I love my tank so much already. I'm going to try to donate my plecos to Taman Merdeka, a local park with a huge pond. I'll get two plecos of a smaller variety to replace them, I just love seeing plecos in a tank.

I was already planning on a long tank, I've heard that more exposed water surface area is better for keeping your tank oxygenated, and I figured it would help with the weight distribution too.

el337

I wouldn't release the plecos in a pond. Can you talk to the store to see if they will take them back or try to find another home for them?

I don't advise getting more plecos, even the smaller variety. It's still overstocked as is even without the plecos.

Amphitrite

I'm going to get a bigger tank for my community, so the smaller plecos should be fine. I'm thinking at least a 40g, bigger if I can find one at an affordable price.

RWP0505

That sized tank is potentially only big enough for one Betta

Five 97

That sized tank is potentially only big enough for one Betta
No. a betta should be fine in a 40 gallon community.

Dave125g

I think if your not going to invest in a heater or chiller, you need to at least find out your aquarium temperature and stock accordingly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StellarLuna
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
jaydivingboard