Is my tank overstocked?

1. cdfish Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 albino corys, 6 neon tetras, a clown pleco, a Chinese algae eater that was given to me with the 6 tetras (I've read online that they can get large, is this true?) And 1 nerite snail. My filter is aqueon quietflow 30. I also read that Chinese algae eaters can be aggressive but he hides in the cave with my clown pleco and is only slightly aggressive when the corys get right in front of his face.

2. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

yes, I highly advise you to rehome the CAE, 20 gallons is the very min for clown plecos, so he's just fine, although bigger is better.
    besides that your stocking is absoulutly fine.

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

is it a 20 gallon long or high?

I agree with @Five_97 everything else sounds fine other than the CAE. Albino cories can get pretty large for cories at 3 inches. If you have a 20 long I'd say you are fine. a 20 high might be a little bunched up.

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, didn't think about that, agreed with @tyguy7760

5. cdfish Initiate Member

Yes the tank is 20 long. Do you know where I can take the CAE? Or who would take it

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Most pet stores that sell fish will take them on donations.

7. cdfish Initiate Member

If I took out my cae and added two or three platies (I'd be keeping them same gender so all male or all female), would it be overstocked then?

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that would be fine. Do all males

9. cdfish Initiate Member

Thank you so much! :)

10. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

All great advice. Extra points for going the platy route, pretty and peaceful.

On super rare occasions, plecs will chase cories, so just observe them for a while and dont add a second plec.

11. cdfish Initiate Member

Yeah I watch him, he usually hides out in the cave till I turn lights off and he comes out to feed. The cories come up to his face all the time and he doesn't mind, but thanks for the tip! :)

12. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

No prob, like i said, its notalways an issue. Varies by individual.