Is my tank overstocked

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by xsvlt1, Jul 27, 2015.

1. x

xsvlt1 New Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with a pleco, 2 balas, 5 guppies, 4 sunburst platys, a Chinese algae eater and 2 snails. Am I overstocked? I have a whisper 60 and am debating on a second one as I do have room for it would this benefit at all or is it to much? Or is the one filter adaquete?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is overstocked because the bala sharks are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6+ and they grow up to a foot long. The Chinese Algae Eater will also grow to 10" or more. You will need like a 180 gallon tank for the balas. I would rehome both of these fish before doing anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

For the pleco, it depends what kind. The Balas will grow much to large for that tank, and are also schooling fish if im not mistaken. The Chinese algae eater will also become more aggressive as it grows, they grow to like sucking on other fish as they get older rather than algae. Your tank may not be overstocked while everything is still small and young, but once things start growing, yes you will be very overstocked. Id rehome the Balas and the chinese algae eater. Depending on what type of pleco you have would determine if you can safely keep it or not.

4. OP
    OP
    x

xsvlt1 New Member Member

I kind of figured that with the balas they came with the tank though. Asfar as everything else it should be fine though right? And should I look into bigger filtration options too? I do have several plants and plan on adding one or two more to help with oxygenation

5. Dom90

You need to address the CAE also. It will eat the slime coat off other fish and will cause them to be more prone to bacterial infection.

6. OP
    OP
    x

xsvlt1 New Member Member

7. Dom90

Pictus are also schooling fish needing a group of six or more and also need at least a 75g tank or more.

8. OP
    OP
    x

xsvlt1 New Member Member

I didn't know that about the cae. What would you recommend to fix it all? Get rid of the 3 and go with what I have left?

9. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Valued Member Member

It always helps to have extra filtration! Even though the filter may be rated for you tank in the long run as it wear down its start putting on 3/4 to 1/2 of what it originally Put out in my experience. I highly recommend the Aqua clear 70. That's what I have on my cycling 55 gallon and that thing is BEAST! It shoots out water! Also in term of oxygenation it never hurts to add an air stone also on top of your plants and filter you should be getting enough. Just gage it upon your fishes behavior.

10. Dom90

Yes, try to rehome the bala sharks and the CAE and maybe the pictus also. If you're running HOBs, your GPH should be 8-10x your tank size.

11. OP
    OP
    x

xsvlt1 New Member Member

That's good to know. Any recommended places to shop for that particular one?

12. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Valued Member Member

Any Petco or Petsmart should have it. But for the best buy I would buy online. Dr. Fosters and Smiths usually have good deals!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice