Is my tank overstocked/understocked ?

Katt

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That sounds like a healthy amount of fish to me! You're definitely not overstocked, and there is no such thing as understocking (except when it comes to schooling fish)

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You do have some stocking issues. I would not keep the two gouramis together if they are both male in this tank size as you'll likely see aggression issues. I believe they also need at least a 36" long tank.

Blue rams and skirt tetras are not temp compatible as the rams need it closer to 80 and skirt tetras like it under 75. The cories may not be temp compatible either depending on the species. Your tetras and cories also need at least 6+ of their own species.

OP
Thy Balloon Belly King

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
Ok and I am thinking about getting a 29 gallon and I believe the Gourami's are not both males

@el337

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Males tend to be a lot more colorful while females are bland in comparison. You can post a photo if you're unsure. A 29 gallon is the same footprint as a 20 long.

What kind of cories do you have?

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes you are overstocked.
The golden gouramI needs something like a 55 gallon ( not a 20 long). Is the blue gouramI a three spot gourami( blue version of gold) or a powder blue dwarf gourami? Either way those two gouramis will kill each other. Don't mix gouramis with each other. If its a three spot then you need another big tank.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME to Fishlore!

When are you getting the new tank?

Coleslaw

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my opinion you have a good amount of fish but I think the wrong kind. Multiple gouramis in the same tank could cause aggression or shyness. Also blue rams can live alone but it will lead to more aggression and also will not being out their true colors because they will feel stressed.

rcordova233

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coleslaw said:
In my opinion you have a good amount of fish but I think the wrong kind. Multiple gouramis in the same tank could cause aggression or shyness. Also blue rams can live alone but it will lead to more aggression and also will not being out their true colors because they will feel stressed.
Yeah its the type of fish you have not the amount that's the problem here. Can you rehome or return the gouramis?

OP
Thy Balloon Belly King

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
Well I have a 20h that I was going to put both gouramis in but that's not going to happen now, so should I put a gouramI in the 20h and the tetras? @rcordnova233

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As mentioned, one gouramI would need a 36" long tank minimum. They can get up to 6 inches.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I suggest rehoming the 2 gouramis you have now and replace them with 2 honey gouramis if you do want gouramis. HOney gouramis are able to live together

New Threads