Is My Tank Overstocked, Or Do I Have The Opportunity For More?

Fishforlife

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is my tank overstocked?:

I have 4 platies, 2 guppies, one young angelfish, a 2" upside down catfish, an electric green barb, one peppered cory, one albino cory, and a gold sucking loach in my 28 gallon cycled marineland bow front. (I have a thing for catfish)

This tank has been running for about two months now, and I do not know the tank perameters. If I can, I plan to add some more guppies and cories. About one month ago I added my angelfish, sucking loach, barb, and 2 platies. I used to have my albino cory in a ten gallon along with my two other platies. I have not seen any aggression, and I do know that my sucking loach could become aggressive, and I plan to bring him in and trade him for an oto.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First the barbs and cories need to have a group of 6+. Second angelfish need at least 30 gallons. Gold sucking loach are actually chinese algae eaters and otocinclus need a group of 6+ which would be overstocked for your tank. Upside down catfish also need 30 gallons. That tank is way overstocked. Rehome the cories and barb or the angel, cae, and catfish and get 5+ more of the barb and 5+ more of the albino Cory as peppered cories do better in colder temps.

Fishforlife

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh, and do you think that if soon, I get a larger tank, which is what I am planning on, could it work out? Also, I do not want to be put off as rude or anything like that, but my cories are very solitary, and I got them from a school where they were the loners of the group.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
oh, and do you think that if soon, I get a larger tank, which is what I am planning on, could it work out? Also, I do not want to be put off as rude or anything like that, but my cories are very solitary, and I got them from a school where they were the loners of the group.
It can’t work because there’s no temperature overlap. Cories are still supposed to be in larger groups so you need to have more. You could keep all of them minus the peppered cory and cae in a ~40 gallon tank if you get more tiger barbs and c. aeneus (albino Cory)

Fishforlife

Valued Member
Reaction score
sorry to put these all on new threads, I just keep thinking of more things, how many fish do you think i could have in my 28g?

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sorry to put these all on new threads, I just keep thinking of more things, how many fish do you think i could have in my 28g?
You could keep the platys and guppies, and get 5-7 more albino cories. You can’t keep the rest because tiger barbs would need a larger space for a school of them and the angelfish needs 30 gallons and so does the upside down catfish. The cae needs 55+ gallons and otocinclus can’t be by themselves. Maybe get a snail or shrimps

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom