Is My Tank Overpopulated? And Foggy/smell Tank

1. J

John H New Member Member

Hey there, I just started a 10 gal tank with 4 neon tetras, 3 dward gournami, 1 peco(which I'm trying to return since I heard they need more space), 3 ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail. Im trying to get rid of my peco but is there anything else I should try to minimize? Also my tank Is getting blurry and a bit smelly, but I think I may have put a little to much food. Is there someway I can fix this? Thanks

2. Nicholas pilgrim

Nicholas pilgrim New Member Member

The gouramis need much more space in a group of that size

3. OP
    OP
    J

John H New Member Member

Also the fog is white or grey
    Is 1 Dwarf Gourami ok?

4. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

No I wouldn't do any dwarf gouramis in a tank that size unfortunately. Is the tank cycled? Do you have a heater and filter?

5. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

1 Dwarf gourami is good in a 10 gallon tank, but 3 is NOT okay. They will kill each other, and the tetras need at least 20 gallons.

6. OP
    OP
    J

John H New Member Member

What fish do you recommend for a 10 gallon and how many? Also do you know if Walmart lets us return fish. I got my fish at Walmart, probably Wasn't the best option, oh and also instead of a peco in a 10 gal, what should I have to eat algae

Yes the tank has a heater and a filter that came with it. I also have a bubble going on and a live plant. So you wouldn't recommend 1 Dwarf Gourami in there? Also are the tetras alright? I heard you can put up to 7 tetras in a ten gal tank

I just realized ive made a huge mistake in not cycling it. The pet store never told me too and this my first tank. What do I do with all these fish in it. Should I try to return em? Also when I do start cycling is it ok if I leave shrimp and the snail in the tank?

7. kayla.s

The tetras ideally need to be in larger groups as they are schooling fish. A dwarf gourami grows to be 8cm (3inches) I would recommend shrimp as algae eaters in a tank that size. Honestly I think the best thing to do would be to remove all the fish and get a betta with some snails or shrimp, or upgrade your tank :)

8. OP
    OP
    J

John H New Member Member

Alright I think I shall do that, is there any other fish besides a beta, also I haven't cycled my tank, so is there a guide you can link me that you recommend. Also when cycling can I leave them shrimp and snails in?

9. kayla.s

From what I know the shrimp are quite sensitive to water quality, though I may be wrong on that. You can try cycle with them in, some people even do cycles with fish in the tank- though it's not recommended

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

10. OP
    OP
    J

John H New Member Member

Thank you so much, im really wanting to get into this hobby but I just screwed up my start. What should I do if I can't return the fish to Wal mart, will pet shops accept em?

11. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

Probably, they'd just take them depending on what you have.
    I know they wouldn't take Oscars, lol.

12. kayla.s

You're welcome! Most of us got in to the hobby like this... most pet shops will probably take them. Check out killifish if you're not keen on bettas. You could do one or two in the tank, along with shrimp/snails :)

13. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

Shrimp are sensitive to water quality. You would almost wonder if they are scavengers yet want good water quality lol

14. MD12

MD12 New Member Member

10 gallons is not enough for almost anything. I started off with a 10 gallon with 4 Swordtails and had to upgrade to 30 in less then 3 weeks. I would suggest keeping 4 Tetras and nothing else if your plan is to stick to 10 gallon.

15. kayla.s

There is actually a lot you could do with a ten gallon. @MD12 if you go to the aquarium stocking thread you will see an article about what can be kept in 10g, though I definitely wouldn't do as many as some of the options say...

16. Sakura48

Everything on that list should be able to be put into a 10 gallon.
    Anders247 wrote it.

17. kayla.s

18. Sakura48

I guess there are points, but it depends on the type of killifish.

19. kayla.s

According to the Internet the average killifish is about 3". Just personally wouldn't want to overcrowd...:emoji_see_no_evil:

20. Sakura48

Basically around the max length of a betta fish.
    I understand your topic, so I won't try to make statements on why it's ok. Personally, I don't like overcrowding either.
    Larger tanks are better for me.