Is My Tank Overcrowded?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is the tank size? I personally feel any and all wild native species like bass, crappie, and sunfish should be in tanks closer to 100gals.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a good question. What are the tank dimensions and volume?

Curious what the white pipes are for - are there more fish than the 3 on the left hand side? I can't see them fitting in any of the pipes, so not sure of their purpose.

Are your fish full grown? Proportionately they do seem awfully large for the tank but I don't know what they are therefore don't know what their needs are.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s a 40 I checked the profile definitely too small
I am sorry, but checking the profile isn't always the best way to assume someone's tank size, as they may be talking about a tank they didn't list, or it could be outdated.

OP
Scottnbrittany85

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a good question. What are the tank dimensions and volume?

Curious what the white pipes are for - are there more fish than the 3 on the left hand side? I can't see them fitting in any of the pipes, so not sure of their purpose.

Are your fish full grown? Proportionately they do seem awfully large for the tank but I don't know what they are therefore don't know what their needs are.

Can you elaborate a bit more?
Pipes are for crayfish and pleco, the fish are nowhere near full grown, the oldest is only 8 months old

OP
Scottnbrittany85

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right now you're ok, in a month maybe not. Those fish you have are going to get pretty big and need a tank three times that size in the long run. At least you didn't get a RTC.
Hopefully lol that's the ultimate goal. I also have already made arrangements with my local bass pro to rehome if they get impressive sized and need to be moved

Is that a common pleco you speak of?
Yes
15571931243451136749693.jpg

Yes common pleco

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are the little fish their food ?
I kept natives in my 135 and they grew at a very quick rate .
You have less then 6 months before the bass should be too large and the sunny just very tough and wanting his space .
I really enjoyed my natives but they grew so fast .I didn't help any living near a creek and having a minnow trap out every day for them !

On a side note you really don't have to rehome them if you are a fish eater !

OP
Scottnbrittany85

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm am prepared to grow my tanks as the fish grow, my question is mainly geared towards the size they are now in the tank they are in now, eventually if everything lives full lives the largemouth and smallmouth bass will have atleast a 200g to themselves and the crappie and sunfish will stay In the 75

You have less then 6 months before the bass should be too large and the sunny just very tough and wanting his space .
I really enjoyed my natives but they grew so fast .I didn't help any living near a creek and having a minnow trap out every day for them !

I go through about 3 dozen minnows a week, also have about 100 baby crayfish that will serve as feeders in a few months
1557196943510-300340891.jpg

Are you aware of how big they get? I personally feel like your tank size is an acceptable minimum, but if yours decides it wants to get bigger than 18" then you'll need more still
Any smaller species would just end up being dinner

Lol the wife already named them all, she plays with the crayfish like it's a puppy

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Scottnbrittany85

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your bass might be able to eat your pleco in no time, be careful
That's a possibility, but I've had that bass since he was less than an inch and a half long and he is very domesticated as far as being a bass goes. He literally only eats minnows and it's just not because that's all I've fed him because I often throw worms, crickets and small crayfish in the tank cause the others love em and even small bluegill that would easily be food size he won't mess with. Im not saying hunger wouldn't over power a picky eater but he also never dosent have minnows in the tank

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom