Is My Tank Over Crowded?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Allison Williams, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Allison WilliamsNew MemberMember

what is considered an over crowded tank? How do you know if your tank is over crowded?

I have a 27 gallon tank fully equipped with a heater keeping the water at 78*F, a filter that cycles about 500 gallons per hour, an LED light that mimics the moon phases, and several real plants scattered around the tank. In total for fish I have a female betta (2 inches long) who gets along really well with other fish, 3 neon tetras (all under 1 inch in length), 2 Blackfin tetras (about 1.5 inches in length), 3 Fancy guppies (all about 0.5 inches in length), 2 Lyrtails (each 1 inch long), 1 butterfly plecostomus (almost 3 inches in length), 2 other really tiny fish (not even 0.5 inches in length) and 3 snails about the size of a quarter. (total = 14 fish and 3 snails)

All the fish get along really well. Most of the fish I have are schooling fish and will swim together in groups. My betta will sometimes chase my other fish but is never aggressive. She has been in the tank with the Neon Tetras for over 9 months now. I have minimal algae growth (none on the glass, some on the structures in the tank but the pleco and snails keep up with it), no wast problems and all my nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels are 0, my pH is 7.0 and my water is completely clear with no issues.

20150509_194917.jpg

2. chrt396

chrt396Well Known MemberMember

No..it is not overstocked. Everything you have is very manageable. Especially with the extreme over filtering that you have. However.....500GPH would create a virtual typhoon for the Betta..even being absent of long flowing fins..since they really don't like that much current. The small fish must have quite a time with all that agitation in the tank. Is this one of those Penn Plax filters?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Allison WilliamsNew MemberMember

i have noticed the current seemed to be a little strong for them at first but they all seem to be ok with it now. My beta likes to lay under plants and her little hiding places to hide from the current or she will sit near the top of the tank behind where the filter enters the water.

I was mistaken about the 500 gallons per hour it is 200 gal/hr. this is the filter i have.

4. chrt396

Ok..that is TONS better! At 500GPGH..there would be a whirlpool in that tank.

You mention that you have zero nitrates. Are you positive about that? There aren't many tanks with the bio load that you have that show zero nitrates. You need to get an API test kit so that you can accurately monitor the water parameters of your tank. Other than that Allison..you are ready to go! Many people might say that the female Betta is a problem since you have him with others..but make sure that you monitor her and the others as well for missing body parts. They can be unpredictable at times....! I have two of my male Bettas with other fish and I've had no problems, but I monitored them for a couple months and of course I check them all out and do a head count every time I get up in the morning and feed them.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Allison WilliamsNew MemberMember

I do a head count on my fish every morning also. So far no missing limbs, no dead fish, and she barely even chases the others. When she does chase them she gives up before she gets anywhere near them and its usually only during feeding. I will look into getting an API test kit.

6. chrt396

You are on the right track. the fact that you show interest is a good sign!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice