Is my tank of 1 month cycled? (API test results pictured)

deehugz

Matt11711

Looks like it to me!

Mightaswell

How much ammonia have you added(or fish food)? If you haven't added an ammonia source you cant start a cycle. Filling a tank up with water and letting it sit a month does nothing unless you add ammonia.

Matt11711

Sorry, I definitely assumed you had gone through the cycling process. Even if you have, make sure you keep feeding ammonia until you put fish in, otherwise the colony size will decrease without a food source.

JettsPapa

Mightaswell said:
How much ammonia have you added(or fish food)? If you haven't added an ammonia source you cant start a cycle. Filling a tank up with water and letting it sit a month does nothing unless you add ammonia.
It looks to me like there's some nitrates there. That leads me to believe that the tank has been cycled and not just sitting there with water in it.

Mightaswell

Unless nitrates are in the tap water.

Matt11711

JettsPapa said:
It looks to me like there's some nitrates there. That leads me to believe that the tank has been cycled and not just sitting there with water in it.
Mightaswell said:
Unless nitrates are in the tap water.
Yeah, my tap water has between 10 and 20 ppm of nitrate so I'm not sure of the norm, but it does look like a low amount of nitrates for a normally cycled tank, unless this is post water change (which I assumed on first glance)

Mightaswell

I have nitrates in my water to about 10ppm. That's why I asked if there was any ammonia or fish food added. Because those results posted look just like my tap water tests.

mattgirl

deehugz said:
Welcome to Fishlore As you can see, we need more information before we can tell you whether or not this tank is cycled.

deehugz

This is the results from a fish-in cycle.
20G high tank with 4 guppies and 2 rasboras. Frequent water changes, seachem prime, stability. I did move the guppies over to another tank when the ammonia/nitrites were still present the last couple weeks.

I should do a test on the water straight out of my tap just as a baseline.
Good idea on that one.

mattgirl

deehugz said:
This is the results from a fish-in cycle.
20G high tank with 4 guppies and 2 rasboras. Frequent water changes, seachem prime, stability. I did move the guppies over to another tank when the ammonia/nitrites were still present the last couple weeks.

I should do a test on the water straight out of my tap just as a baseline.
Good idea on that one.
You will have to put the fish back in there before you can know for sure whether or not you have grown enough bacteria to handle their bio-load. It is always a good idea to run all the tests on your source water so you know what you are putting in there.

deehugz

Assuming that this tank has just recently cycled, I want to be fragile about now stocking it as I have been waiting to do so. That said, is it so fragile that it would be a bad idea to add my 4 guppies back to it?

Assuming its okay to do that, should I give it 2 weeks before adding net new fish? And trust and believe that I test frequently. Been pretty much testing daily since I have been doing fish-in cycling.

It's so much less stress setting up my 40G tank with fish-less cycling.

Matt11711

deehugz said:
Assuming that this tank has just recently cycled, I want to be fragile about now stocking it as I have been waiting to do so. That said, is it so fragile that it would be a bad idea to add my 4 guppies back to it?

Assuming its okay to do that, should I give it 2 weeks before adding net new fish? And trust and believe that I test frequently. Been pretty much testing daily since I have been doing fish-in cycling.

Yes you could put the guppies back in as long as you check the water parameters frequently. Hopefully the tank has enough bacteria to support them, it all depends on how much ammonia has been in the tank for the past month. Waiting at least 2 weeks before adding any more fish sounds like a good idea to me as well.

mattgirl

deehugz said:

As long as you continue doing what you are doing by watching the numbers and doing water changes as needed putting the guppies back in there should be fine. Right now you have grown enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the fish you have in there.

Put the guppies back in there and allow the bacteria to catch up with the higher bio-load. It shouldn't take as long to catch up as it did to get to this point. Once we have a good colony of ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria it will grow more fairly quick.

Let your numbers be your guide as to how quickly you can stock this tank. Add fish and watch the numbers. You may get a slight spike in ammonia and/or nitrites. As long as it doesn't go much above .25 don't be overly concerned. Give the bacteria a chance to do its job. It needs that ammonia to feed and grow the necessary bacteria.

Once you see no ammonia or nitrites you can add the next group of fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom