Is My Tank Large Enough More Fish? (neon Tetras)

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello!
Skip this paragraph to get to the question but this does add a bit of grounding. I just recently bought a new 20 gallon tank after a bad experience with my old tank. I got my old tank when I was pretty young and probably not a good age to be keeping fish. It came with two fancy goldfish who were already quite old and I kept them for a good 4-5 years until they died at the age I suspected of 15. Then I got some more but they just didn't work out and the tank was an awkward shape and too small (11 gallons)

So, I used the stuff from my old tank, filter, gravel and the ornaments and stuff so the cycle was already going well. I put some new ornaments and gravel which I boiled in and finally my one fancy goldfish. He is still pretty small (around 2 inches long including his tail). I went out and bought some danios today, two glowlight and 3 zebras. They are doing fine so far and they are not stealing all the food from my goldfish (who is surprisingly fast for a fancy one. I would really like some more fish, ideally neon tetras but I wouldn't mind getting a bottom feeder or some white cloud minnows. What I want to know is could I get a school of neon tetras/ white cloud minnows. If not maybe a loach of some kind? I do have a heater somewhere but at the moment my tank is averaging 20 degrees Celsius (or 68 Fahrenheit) and doesn't fluctuate. My filter is a 20 gallon one and I also have some plants in there to oxidize the water. My goldfish also is getting along fine with the danios. Please someone help out, despite owning fish for a while this is my first tank with other fish. Thanks

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your tank is overstocked, please don't get any more fish until you've worked out your current stocking.

Fancy goldfish need a minimum of 29 gallons. They can get up to 12 inches and make a lot of waste.

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Firstly, Thanks for replying to me. However the goldfish in my aquarium is probably less than one year old. In the aquarium his growth will be extremely slow. When he does get too big I will have to move him (probably to my neighbor's goldfish pond). He is also a Fancy goldfish and they grow to around 5 inches. I'm cleaning it out regularly so the wast won't be a problem. I may be un experienced but I wouldn't put a shoal of danios in with a goldfish that would grow to 12 inches, he could probably swallow them all at that size. But thanks for replying so quickly, I joined the forum yesterday and I didn't expect an answer so fast.

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, but comparing the life expectancy of danios/tetras to goldfish, by the time my tank may be looking a bit crowded my danios (and possibly tetras) won't be alive. Maybe it would be more helpful to post some pictures of my tank/fish

Immyb

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In waiting for your goldfish to get bigger before moving him to a larger home, you're risking stunting his growth and causing internal problems that will most likely lead to death. Rehoming the goldfish and keeping the danios is your best option. If you are planning on adding him to a pond, make sure there are only other fancy goldfish in there or he may be outcompeted for food and starve to death. Goldfish are extremely messy and can cause massive ammonia spikes if the filtration is not adequate. I hope he gets a nice spacious tank/ pond soon

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a good filter and do water changes regularly, and seeing as fancy goldfish would only really grow to five inches is it necessary to have him in a bigger tank? I don't have much money at the moment and I would be sad if I had to get rid of him. Surely by the time he grows to full size the danios will have been long gone.

Immyb

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
freddy123 said:
I have a good filter and do water changes regularly, and seeing as fancy goldfish would only really grow to five inches is it necessary to have him in a bigger tank? I don't have much money at the moment and I would be sad if I had to get rid of him. Surely by the time he grows to full size the danios will have been long gone.
Fancy goldfish traditionally grow to 8 inches, but can reach up to 12 inches in length. Additionally, goldfish have been known to eat smaller tank mates, so there really is no point keeping any danios or neons with your fancy. Please look for a new 29 gallon tank (preferably 40 gallon so you can get him a friend) in the next few months, or think about rehoming in the near future

Fishem02

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fancy goldfish grow quite a lot larger
You don't want to stunt his growth, they make quite a lot of waste too.

Here's a picture of a full grown

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am quite sure that mine is a fantail goldfish which grow to about 5-6 inches

foresthall

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with the others, rehome the goldfish. Fancy goldfish can grow up t0 12 inches and need a minimum of 30 gallons to start. Not having a tank large enough will stunt the growth. Essentially the fishes' organs will continue to grow but the body doesn't resulting in the fish suffocating and dying. Also the other fish you have are schoaling fish and do better in groups of at least six of each species.

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Immyb said:
Fancy goldfish traditionally grow to 8 inches, but can reach up to 12 inches in length. Additionally, goldfish have been known to eat smaller tank mates, so there really is no point keeping any danios or neons with your fancy. Please look for a new 29 gallon tank (preferably 40 gallon so you can get him a friend) in the next few months, or think about rehoming in the near future
I know that they can eat smaller tank mates, however my goldfish is still very young. I will have to look into getting another tank, but it is not that easy where I live to find one.

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
foresthall said:
I agree with the others, rehome the goldfish. Fancy goldfish can grow up t0 12 inches and need a minimum of 30 gallons to start. Not having a tank large enough will stunt the growth. Essentially the fishes' organs will continue to grow but the body doesn't resulting in the fish suffocating and dying. Also the other fish you have are schoaling fish and do better in groups of at least six of each species.
Fantails grow to around 5-6 inches, I know with the right conditions they can grow to double that size. My danios shoal together and almost everywhere is says a group of 5-6 for a shoal of danios.

foresthall

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
freddy123 said:
Fantails grow to around 5-6 inches, I know with the right conditions they can grow to double that size. My danios shoal together and almost everywhere is says a group of 5-6 for a shoal of danios.
Id love to know where you have been informed that they only grow 5-6 inches. This is most likely because their growth has been stunted. You seem to have your mind set on what you feel is best so I'm not sure what information you are looking for. Goldfish produce to much waste to be in a tank that small. To simply answer your question, no, your tank is not large enough for any more fish.

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
just search "how big can a fantail goldfish grow to" into google and a tonne of websites come up saying 5-6 inches. I will not get anymore fish, thanks for answering the question. I have the waste part under control. I have a good filter and I regularly clean the tank. Its not that easy to just get rid of a pet like that but if it come to it I have my pond but it is a wildlife pond at the moment. If I really need to I will make another pond.

Fishem02

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look up seriously fish.. it's really the only best fish information web

Immyb

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
freddy123 said:
In my opinion fancies ideally need 120cm lengthwise swimming room and 50cm turning room. They're very active fish (carp at heart!) and extremely messy. Also they love company so I really recommend upgrading

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is a really good page for explaining goldfish tank size. I really recommend you take a look at it
What Size Tank for Goldfish? - INJAF

vikingkirken

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For some reason, Seriously Fish doesn't have any article about goldfish. Unless their website search is terrible...

Fancies do average around 6" at adulthood, maybe 8"--including the tail--as a possible max. There are always going to be exceptions, but it's unreasonable to base stocking plans around the extreme maximum size a fish might possibly reach.

I have seen the argument about internal organs continuing to grow when a fish is stunted, leading to health problems. But I've never seen a source for it. Actually, I've seen at least one article to the contrary... While I agree that fish should be placed in tanks that allow them to grow to their potential, I've yet to see any scientific weight behind this particular argument. (Does anyone have a source?)

OP
F

freddy123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Immyb said:
In my opinion fancies ideally need 120cm lengthwise swimming room and 50cm turning room. They're very active fish (carp at heart!) and extremely messy. Also they love company so I really recommend upgrading
I will look into upgrading when he gets a little bigger, maybe into making a pond. My goldfish is kind of dopey as well, even when he was less that one inch, but yeah in the future I will need to upgrade.

New Threads