is my tank/fish healthy????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sevaer13, Dec 24, 2012.

1. S

Sevaer13 New Member Member

photo.jpg
    thsi is a photo of my tank

I have a 10 gallon tank. with a bubble stone, and a filter. I have 2 fancy goldfish. I feed them fish flakes. can every few days some carrots.

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

if you have some money i would go out and buy a API master test kit from petco for around 25$ also.. i would upgrade from a 10gallon goldfish are pretty dirty :p

3. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

Goldfish require at least 20g last time I checked, and that's only the small varieties. They also require lots of cleaning and filtration because they are big poopers!

I suggest getting a bigger aquarium ready for them or they'll have bad health and growth stunting, decreasing their life span.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's a nice set up but unfortunately that's it. You tank, like the other say, is too small for them. Due to their waste that they produce the fish will be subject to ammonia posioning and such. You'll have to clean that tank about once a week to keep it low.

Either you rehome the fish to a bigger tank or you sell the fish back and get fish that is appropriate for your tank.

Sorry for the bad news. But it is a nice tank.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Sevaer13 New Member Member

What do you think about the food(how often how much what type). And how often should I clean there tank, and how

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore Sevaer13!

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? (the words should have become a link to an article explaining it). I highly recommend you take the time to fully understand the nitrogen cycle, since it is the most important concept to understand when keeping fish.

In a nutshell, the nitrogen cycle goes like this:

In a cycled tank-
    1) Fish produce waste that turns into highly toxic ammonia (even at very low levels ammonia is highly toxic to fish)
    2) There is a bacteria living in the filter media that consumes the ammonia in the water as it passes thru the filter. But this bacteria releases toxic nitrites
    3) There is a second bacteria that lives in the filter media that consumes highly toxic (even at low levels) nitrites but releases nitrates.
    4) Nitrates at low levels are no toxic, but because fish constantly produce ammonia and ammonia is constantly being converted into nitrites and nitrites are constantly being converted into nitrates...your nitrates will start building up to the point where they become toxic.
    5) You keep nitrates low thru (normally) weekly partial water changes. (But someone such as yourself i.e. overstocked with large waste producers may need to do partial water changes several times a week. Remember more waste ends up being more nitrate).

But since your tank is not cycled:
    1) The fish will produce waste which turns into ammonia
    2) Since there is no bacteria in an uncycled tank to convert the ammonia the levels build up and will most likely kill your fish.
    3) But if your fish somehow survive the elevated ammonia levels, after a few weeks the ammonia converting bacteria will grow in your filter media.
    4) Now all ammonia is being converted into nitrite, but since you don't have the second bacteria, your nitrite levels will spike which most likely will kill your fish
    5) If your fish somehow survived, after several weeks you will develope the bacteria that converts nitrite into nitrate. At that point your are cycled.

So you need to cycle the tank in a way that will protect your fish from toxin exposure until it finishes cycling. There are a few methods, and hopefully someone else will mention them, since I just got called down for Christmas Breakfast.

Good luck!

BTW, I recommend pellets for your goldfish since flakes can make them gulp air when trying to eat them from the surface. Don't know about carrots, never fed them to my Goldies.

7. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

That tank is too small for those 2 fish, you need at LEAST a 30 gallon for the both of them.

8. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I agree with Mrs. Price. With having 2 Fancy Goldfish, 30-40 Gallons would be ideal. If you do not upgrade the fish tank, their growth will be stunted and that can shorten their life.

9. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Hey there I would have to agree with the others. The tank is a tad small but I am no fan of goldfish because they are huge poopers and without a on the dot routine with regular water changes you end up with toxic water fast. Your tank mates are also limited because goldfish are sort of nasty fellows your fish count needs to be kept low. ( no offense to people who love goldfish - I think its great but its just not my choice of fish to keep) Feed lightly once a day. The only fish food that I buy is New Life Spectrum Sinking Pellets. (I always get sinking so that the filter doesnt suck the food in before the fish can get it) This guy that started the company did major research developing his product for his fish food line. It has a natual color enhancing formula and even though others say the same thing IMO the Spectrum is the best. I use this line with my FW and SW. I suggest anyone to compare ingredients with other brands and put it to the test.

The one goldfish you have there sort of making his way to the top. If you find that they hang out at the top of the water placing thier mouthes to the surface of the water. That is a sign of ammonia in the water. I am not saying you have this by no means but just in case going forward if you see this behaivor that is more than likely what it is. Fish will literally eat themselves to death so keep that in mind and just give them a couple flakes a piece once a day. Good luck with them and welcome to the forum.

10. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

that test kit is €50 in Ireland, , You need a way bigger tank for those fish, they produce a lot of waste and so need more space than normal fish their size to dilute the waste and keep them healthy and growing, that tank would be too small for fish that size anyway but especially goldfish, I would say youd need a tank about 4 times as big

11. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I have 2 in a 30 gallon, and I feel that's even too small, which is why I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon, and probably adding just one more goldfish and a couple danios... they do require A LOT of room, not only to live, but to grow and thrive, and to help keep your water suitable. Despite popular belief, goldfish certainly aren't beginner fish. If you're GONNA upgrade, get nothing less than a 40... or a 55. That way you could add some danios if you wished. (I've found danios do pretty well with goldfish, their bellies get fat and are usually too big to eat most of the time, all of mine have survived and thrived). Goldfish take a lot of work, and EXTRA work if the tank is small, like yours, only one should be in a 20 gallon (I still feel a bigger tank for one is better). It's also true that if you don't move them soon, they will become stunted, or could die in the long run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice