Is My Tank Finally Cycled?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ssbon18, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ssbon18

ssbon18Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Yesterday my tank after a few days went from 1ppm to 0ppm ammonia. Had 5ppm nitrates and 0 nitrites. Last night I added about 1-2ppm of ammonia. Less than 20 hours later 0-.25ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrates are higher.

From the pictures for the ammonia the tube on the right is last night and tune on the left is just now. For nitrite and nitrate its todays test.

Is my tank cycled? Should I do a water change or add more ammonia? Im doing a fishless cycle(65 gallons) and will probably get fish Friday morning if tank is now ready

Attached Files:

2. CocoCappuccino

CocoCappuccinoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    2 years
    Since the bacteria converted 1-2 ppm of ammonia in at least 24 hours (in which it did, good job! ), to 0 ammonia or very small trace amounts, I'd say the tank is ready to go.

All that is left is the water change.

3. OP
    OP
    ssbon18

Ratings:
    +10
    Will it be ok to do a water change tomorrow and have fish in Friday? Or should I add more ammonia and hold of on water change until Thursday before fish come in?

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,133
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think it’s safe to do a WC and retest your water one more time to be sure u see 0-0-10 or so nitrates.. And if it looks good then your ready to add fish.. what r u planning on stocking? Just don’t go too crazy and add too many in the beginning just to be safe.. congrats and good luck!!

5. OP
    OP
    ssbon18

Ratings:
    +10
    Awesome ! Thanks for the help

I will be starting with some ram cichlids and 2 blood parrots once the rams get settled. Been waiting for about a month for the tank to cycle to get our new fish.

6. Brans0628

Brans0628Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh yay I just got a blood parrot a week ago and I already love his personality!!