Question Is My Tank Finally Close To Being Fully Cycled?

Joseph28

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve been struggling with my tank refusing to cycle and i’m wondering, is it finally close to being done or am I well into the process? My tank has been running for more than a month and i’ve been dealing with constant issues due to very very high ammonia and Nitrite levels and terrible water quality issues. At some point I was doing 50% water changes every two days as recommended but now it’s been turning into every 3 or 4 days. I tried different types of bacteria but nothing was helping and now i’ve been using seachem stability and i’ve seen huge improvements, in water parameters. Currently (before my water change today), my parameters were
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - .25 PPM
Nitrite - 1 PPM
Nitrate 10 PPM
As this indicates to me that my tank is trying to cycle, how close is it? Also my water always turns cloudy 2 days after every water change. I was trying seachem clarity but my water simply stayed cloudy and even turned into a greenish tint, what would be any suggestions to fix that?

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
don't add extra chemicals while its trying to cycle.

the cloudiness is bacteria.

the green is algae. decrease the amount of light 4hrs in the morning and 4hrs in the afternoon for a planted tank.

just be patient. 1 step at a time.

OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
don't add extra chemicals while its trying to cycle.

the cloudiness is bacteria.

the green is algae. decrease the amount of light 4hrs in the morning and 4hrs in the afternoon for a planted tank.

just be patient. 1 step at a time.
Okay, what should I do when it gets so cloudy that I can barely even see the fish? I saw one of my fish acting weird, almost like turning on his side and swimming horizontally. Almost like a snake. It worries me

OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Reaction score
Oh okay, I was hoping that it’d be instant like the conditioners but hey, if it’s gonna help later on, i’m all for it. I really do thank you for your advice, I can’t wait until my tank is properly cycled
Skavatar said:
Matrix will most likely take 4-8 weeks to build up a sufficient anaerobic bacteria colony.

OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
Matrix will most likely take 4-8 weeks to build up a sufficient anaerobic bacteria colony.
Hey! I’ve been doing the 50% water changes every 2 days and have been getting the same results for every water change
Ammonia is .25
Nitrite remains 1 PPM
Nitrate is 5 PPM
Would you suggest to now do the 50% water changes daily until I reach 0 and .25 on nitrite?

OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
Also I put a sponge filter in my tank to aid with the filtration, do you think that will help out?

New Threads