1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Is My Tank Finally Close To Being Fully Cycled? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Joseph28, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone! I’ve been struggling with my tank refusing to cycle and i’m wondering, is it finally close to being done or am i well into the process? My tank has been running for more than a month and i’ve been dealing with constant issues due to very very high ammonia and Nitrite levels and terrible water quality issues. At some point i was doing 50% water changes every two days as recommended but now it’s been turning into every 3 or 4 days. I tried different types of bacteria but nothing was helping and now i’ve been using seachem stability and i’ve seen huge improvements, in water parameters. Currently (before my water change today), my parameters were
    PH - 7.6
    Ammonia - .25 PPM
    Nitrite - 1 PPM
    Nitrate 10 PPM
    As this indicates to me that my tank is trying to cycle, how close is it? Also my water always turns cloudy 2 days after every water change. I was trying seachem clarity but my water simply stayed cloudy and even turned into a greenish tint, what would be any suggestions to fix that?

2. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

don't add extra chemicals while its trying to cycle.

the cloudiness is bacteria.

the green is algae. decrease the amount of light 4hrs in the morning and 4hrs in the afternoon for a planted tank.

just be patient. 1 step at a time.

3. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Okay, what should i do when it gets so cloudy that i can barely even see the fish? I saw one of my fish acting weird, almost like turning on his side and swimming horizontally. Almost like a snake. It worries me

4. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

more frequent water changes. use 5X dosage of Prime to help detox ammonia, and reverse the effects of nitrite poisoning (methemoglobin brown blood disease).

5. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Got it, do it until when?

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

every 2 days until ammonia and nitrite are both 0

7. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Got it, how much % water change should i do each time?

8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

9. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Got it! I just got seachem matrix today so i’m going to do the 50% water change and dose 5X the prime and i’m assuming the matrix will help through this process

10. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Matrix will most likely take 4-8 weeks to build up a sufficient anaerobic bacteria colony.

11. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Oh okay, i was hoping that it’d be instant like the conditioners but hey, if it’s gonna help later on, i’m all for it. I really do thank you for your advice, i can’t wait until my tank is properly cycled

12. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Hey! I’ve been doing the 50% water changes every 2 days and have been getting the same results for every water change
    Ammonia is .25
    Nitrite remains 1 PPM
    Nitrate is 5 PPM
    Would you suggest to now do the 50% water changes daily until i reach 0 and .25 on nitrite?

13. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Also i put a sponge filter in my tank to aid with the filtration, do you think that will help out?