Is my tank done cycling?

Cue

I feel like I know the answer to this, but I want to double check before I drop down to every-other/third day water testing. My parameters have been nice and consistent for two weeks now: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites (spiked 3 weeks ago), 5.0-20 ppm nitrates, and 6.8-7.2 ph. Tank has been running since January something.

I also want to address why A. The ph is wildly different from our tap (6.0) and B. Why it fluctuates a bit.

Azedenkae

pH can fluctuate for various reasons. Say if it's a rather closed up room, CO2 can build up enough to decrease pH a bit. Then once the room is ventilated, that changes again.

Being constantly higher than tap water means something is buffering pH to a higher level. Crushed coral for example, has that effect, though in that case pH should be even higher. But just an example.

Is this a fish-in cycle?

bored411

You sound like you're cycled to me with those consistent parameters. And if you've got live plants in your tank that could alter ph, I believe.

Cue

pH can fluctuate for various reasons. Say if it's a rather closed up room, CO2 can build up enough to decrease pH a bit. Then once the room is ventilated, that changes again.

Being constantly higher than tap water means something is buffering pH to a higher level. Crushed coral for example, has that effect, though in that case pH should be even higher. But just an example.

Is this a fish-in cycle?

I do hole up in my room often, so that would explain it. It is a fish-in cycle, fully planted tank.
The only thing I could think that is buffering PH is ohko dragon stone, spider wood, or the substrate (I can’t recall the name but I’m 70% sure it’s not that).

Dunk2

I feel like I know the answer to this, but I want to double check before I drop down to every-other/third day water testing. My parameters have been nice and consistent for two weeks now: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites (spiked 3 weeks ago), 5.0-20 ppm nitrates, and 6.8-7.2 ph. Tank has been running since January something.

I also want to address why A. The ph is wildly different from our tap (6.0) and B. Why it fluctuates a bit.
Based on the parameters in your post and the nitrite spike you mention, I’d say your tank is cycled. What size tank, how many/what type of fish and when did you add them?

Just a curiosity question. . . If your tank has been running since January, why did nitrites just spike 3 weeks ago? Was the tank running for quite a while without fish or another source of ammonia?

About your pH. . . When you tested your tap water, did you let the water sit for 24 hours before testing it?

Azedenkae

I do hole up in my room often, so that would explain it. It is a fish-in cycle, fully planted tank.
The only thing I could think that is buffering PH is ohko dragon stone, spider wood, or the substrate (I can’t recall the name but I’m 70% sure it’s not that).
I mean, if it's a suitable pH range for your fish then not to worry (and in fact all the better).

But yeah nah if the last spike was 3 weeks ago, sounds like it is cycled.

Cue

Based on the parameters in your post and the nitrite spike you mention, I’d say your tank is cycled. What size tank, how many/what type of fish and when did you add them?

Just a curiosity question. . . If your tank has been running since January, why did nitrites just spike 3 weeks ago? Was the tank running for quite a while without fish or another source of ammonia?

About your pH. . . When you tested your tap water, did you let the water sit for 24 hours before testing it?
15 gallon bowfront, currently with four juvenile peacock gudgeons. Added them approximately 4-6 weeks ago, fish-in cycle. Not planning to add anything else.

Brain misfired; meant July, not January :D
I pulled a newbie and didn’t know the tank actually needed an ammonia source. It ran for about 3 months with two nerite snails in it because I thought that was enough ammonia.

I did let the water sit for 24 hours. Everything in our household is strange so I wouldn’t be surprised if the water is too.

georgelee1000

your tank is cycled.
Ph from tap is always going to be higher than normal. As long as it’s stable, I would not play around. You may also have a very low gh meaning that anything like driftwood can dramatically change your ph.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
  • Question
Replies
Views
jamesde
Replies