Nitrates: 20ppm
Ph: 7.6
Nitrites: 0ppm

Day Four (Today):
Ammonia: 2.0ppm

Is my tank cycling? Should I be adding ammonia every day? Any tips?

Mary765

I would dose 2ppm whenever your tank ammonia reaches below 1ppm.

Keep doing this until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a whole load of nitrate. Then do a large water change (50-90%) before adding fish and no longer dosing ammonia.

Also, I would dose bacterial booster every other day imo

emmysjj

I used the whole bottle of SafeStart lol. If I keep dosing ammonia how would it reach zero? Thank you!

Mary765

I used the whole bottle of SafeStart lol. If I keep dosing ammonia how would it reach zero? Thank you!

The good bacteria slowly starts growing in your filter and eats at the ammonia, turning it into nitrite. Then more good bacteria grows and turns nitrite into nitrate, which accumulates in your tank until you do a water change.

Bacteria boosters aren't needed, they just speed up the process!

emmysjj

How many drops is 2ppm?

Also, if I dose every time it reaches 1ppm, how would it get to zero (I realize this is the same question as last time)? Would it go straight to zero and skip 1ppm?

Dave125g

Wait to dose ammonia until your ammonia is at .25. Keep an eye on the nitrates too. If it goes up to 80 ppm or higher it can stall your cycle, so at that point you'll need to do a water change.Your using Dr Tim's as your ammonia source?

emmysjj

Yes I'm using Dr. Tims. My nitrates are lingering at around 20ppm.

Dave125g

20 is fine. Most people use professional strength ammonia from the hardware store to cycle there tank. Doesn't the directions say how many drops to add? For a 10 gallon it doesn't take much.

emmysjj

It said add 4 drops per gallon.

Dave125g

4 drops brings the level to how much? If your ammonia drops to 0 and you add 40 drops does the ammonia test out at 2pp?

emmysjj

I have no idea what it brings it to. I only added Dr.Tims once and tested the next day, and it said 4ppm

Dave125g

Ok then say 20 gets you from 0 to 2ppm. When you get to .25 ammonia add 15 drops and test after an hour.

emmysjj

Okay thank you!

Dave125g

Your welcome. 1 more thing. When you can convert 2ppm ammonia all the way to nitrates in 24 hours your cycled and can add fish.

GoldieMama

Unfortunately you didn't use the Safestart right. You're supposed to add it right before you add fish, and the SafeStart will make the parameters out of whack for a few days which is why you add it right before adding fish then check the parameters a week or 2 later.

emmysjj

For the last tip,
Do I add the 2ppm of ammonia, test an hour later, then test after 24 hours? Do these all intersect?

Dave125g

Yes dose the 15 drops and in an hour test just to see if it's up to 2ppm. Just so you know how much to dose. Then check in 24 hours to monitor for changes. I doubt it, but if your ammonia results come out 0, nitrites 0 and some nitrates your cycled.

emmysjj

Thank you!

emmysjj

*I did do a threat like this before, but I have more questions*
Info on tank:
Size: 10 gallon
Fish?: None yet
Chemicals added: Tetra and 's Ammonium Chloride
: API Master Test Kit
Day One:
*SafeStart and Dr. Tim's not added for this day*
: 0ppm
: 5.0ppm
: 7.6

Day Two:
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites:0ppm

Day Three:
Info on tank:
Size: 10 gallon
Fish?: None yet
Chemicals added: Tetra and 's Ammonium Chloride
: API Master Test Kit
Day One:
*SafeStart and Dr. Tim's not added for this day*
: 5.0ppm
: 7.6

Day Four:
Ammonia: 2.0ppm

Is my tank cycling?

I have a few newer readings.

Day Five:
Ammonia: 3.0ppm
Nitrates: 30ppm
Nitrites: 0.0ppm

Day Six:
Ammonia: Weird reading~Unknown

Day Seven:
Ammonia:4.0
Nitrates:20ppm

Is my tank on the way to cycling? Am I supposed to be doing something other than testing?
One other question. These are from my 5 gallon. That has a betta in it. He's been there for months. Are these normal? The tank is temporary. Should I add anything?

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrates: 5.0ppm

Caleb Smith

Ok so something is going on with your readings as your nitrates have decreased at some point. Do you have plants? It seems( as a general trend) that you are in the process of cycling but your results are definitely weird. I can't tell just by a single reading if your tank is cycling but guessing by the fact he has been in there for five months, I would say so. Obviously it isn't done because you still have some ammonia, but its should be on its way.

emmysjj

I have no live plants in either tanks except for a moss ball in the 5 gallon. The five gallon is just temporary (the last reading). The ten gallon is the one that needs cycling. I just wanted to make sure the ten gallon is on its way, a and if there's anything I can add to the five gallon so that my betta is safer in the meantime. Thank you!

emmysjj

Today, my readings were 0.50ppm ammonia, 20ppm nitrates, nitrites are 0ppm.

I have never had any nitrites. I used Tetra SafeStart and Dr. Tim's Pure Ammonia (ammonia source).

Am I doing something right?

What do I do now?

Coradee

Several threads have been merged so all the information is in one place, please only create one thread per topic as it gets very confusing having multiple threads.

Dave125g

Testing is what you'll be doing daily. If your ammonia drops to .25 or less dose it back up to 2 ppm.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom