Is my tank Cycling?

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tested the parameters in my 300G yesturday, Ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate 0.0 And Ph 7 I'm using the drop test kit, not the strips. Ive been adding lots of fish food and ammonia letting everything rot, could my tank possibly have cycled in less that 4 weeks? It is a really big tank, i added old gravel from one of my smaller tanks and lots of live plants to the set up. Should I do a water change now or add fish into the tank as is? I dont want to do anything that could risk my fishes' health. Also my husband decided to clean the filters last night, and he washed the sponge filter in untreated tap water!!! Shame he thougt he was doing me a huge favour. Would that affect the parameters much or should i wait another week and keep an eye on the parameters before adding fish? There should be enought bacteria in the gravel and in decor shouldnt there?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It hasn't started cycling yet. If it was cycled you would be getting Nitrate readings. How long has the tank been set up for?

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
It has been set up for 4 weeks now, I was told it can take 8 weeks to cycle a tank that big, I thought it might not be cycling becuase it is so big - looks like ill have to add more ammonia than what I am!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably...a 300g is so HUGE whatever you are putting in is probably making no impression...like it all just gets diluted in so much water!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ill add a lot more ammonia and fish food and stuff, so that it gives it a boost, OH MY WORD this will take forever!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeyyyy! I got Some new readings!!! I tested last night Ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 0.5 Nitrate 5! and pH 7.2 - Looking good! Could I possibly have tested in the inbetween stages last time? or maybe I just didint do it properly... But Looks like its almost cycled!!! Fishies... Here I come!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom