Is my tank cycling now?

SilverLake
Well to begin, this is a new tank you're setting up, or the tank listed in your bio?

If it's a new tank, it looks that way, yeah just keep up the ammonia dosing untill the nitrites go down the the nitrates go up and it stays that way.

If it's an established tank it needs a large water change and some prime to help stabilise your parameters.

Yani
SilverLake said:
Well to begin, this is a new tank you're setting up, or the tank listed in your bio?

If it's a new tank, it looks that way, yeah just keep up the ammonia dosing untill the nitrites go down the the nitrates go up and it stays that way.

If it's an established tank it needs a large water change and some prime to help stabilise your parameters.
Is a tank that never cycled since stablished since I’m new to the hobby. This site along with Dunk2 and mattgirl and others like you had helped me through the process for the past month. So yes I think new tank term is appropriate here. Thank you... I feel confident now that I am finally on the right track.

SilverLake
Yani said:
Is a tank that never cycled since stablished since I’m new to the hobby. This site along with Dunk2 and mattgirl and others like you had helped me through the process for the past month. So yes I think new tank term is appropriate here. Thank you... I feel confident now that I am finally on the right track.
Is the tank stocked? But yeah, it looks like you're into stage two, nitrites. Hopefully it keeps up the good progress

Yani
SilverLake said:
Is the tank stocked? But yeah, it looks like you're into stage two, nitrites. Hopefully it keeps up the good progress
Yes it has 1.molly 2. Small guppies 1pleco 1. Rainbow shark and 1. Crayfish

SilverLake
Yani said:
Yes it has 1.molly 2. Small guppies 1pleco 1. Rainbow shark and 1. Crayfish
Fish in cycle then, I'm happy to hear everyone is pulling through so far

Dunk2
Yani said:
I am about to do a water change, and I add prime after plus stress coat.
Hey Yani.

How much of a water change did you do? I ask because your nitrites look fairly high? What do you think the nitrite level was when you tested?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Hey Yani.

How much of a water change did you do? I ask because your nitrites look fairly high? What do you think the nitrite level was when you tested?
15 gl water change

Looked 2ppm to me.. I know pictures aare tricky

0.25 ammonia and 5ppm nitrate

Dunk2
Yani said:
Looked 2ppm to me.. I know pictures aare tricky
Heck, I can’t distinguish the API colors in person let alone in a picture.

If you think they tested at 2 ppm and you did a 15 gallon water change (in a 40 gallon tank), I’m thinking your nitrites would still be above 1 ppm.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to test again or just do another partial water change. Remember that Prime is only effective up to a combined level of ammonia and nitrites of 1 ppm.

The good news. . . You’re definitely getting there! Has it been 3 weeks yet?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Heck, I can’t distinguish the API colors in person let alone in a picture.

If you think they tested at 2 ppm and you did a 15 gallon water change (in a 40 gallon tank), I’m thinking your nitrites would still be above 1 ppm.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to test again or just do another partial water change. Remember that Prime is only effective up to a combined level of ammonia and nitrites of 1 ppm.

The good news. . . You’re definitely getting there! Has it been 3 weeks yet?
I think it’s exactly 3 weeks,(it’s feels like forever tho) is it safe to wait till tomorrow for another water change .. I don’t have anymore treated water available today. Also just want to say thank you about the article you shared with me on water bacteria. It turns out my ph dropped ridiculously and boom... I did a little research and added a little baking soda to raise ph and 3 days latter .. water was clean again.. sorry for the long message I just wanted to keep you updated

Dunk2
Yani said:
I think it’s exactly 3 weeks,(it’s feels like forever tho) is it safe to wait till tomorrow for another water change .. I don’t have anymore treated water available today. Also just want to say thank you about the article you shared with me on water bacteria. It turns out my ph dropped ridiculously and boom... I did a little research and added a little baking soda to raise ph and 3 days latter .. water was clean again.. sorry for the long message I just wanted to keep you updated
Tomorrow will be OK, but today would be better.

You’re about to hate me again. . . Use baking soda to make cookies, but not to raise pH in your tank again!

Baking soda can result in unwanted pH fluctuations and you need to keep redosing it to maintain the desired level. A small amount of crushed coral in a media bag and placed in your filter is a much better and easier way to increase and stabilize pH..

StarGirl
I also want to add that you do not need Prime and Stress Coat. They are both dechlorinators. You only need Prime as a dechlor. I would only use stresscoat if you have a direct reason to.

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Tomorrow will be OK, but today would be better.

You’re about to hate me again. . . Use baking soda to make cookies, but not to raise pH in your tank again!

Baking soda can result in unwanted pH fluctuations and you need to keep redosing it to maintain the desired level. A small amount of crushed coral in a media bag and placed in your filter is a much better and easier way to increase and stabilize pH..
Ahhh heck ok .. and for the records I can’t hate you again because I never have to begin with hehe. So if this is correct you are right( yes I know you are always right)hahahah so how much water change today? And can I use tap water?

StarGirl said:
I also want to add that you do not need Prime and Stress Coat. They are both dechlorinators. You only need Prime as a dechlor. I would only use stresscoat if you have a direct reason to.
Really? Since it said to use with water change or adding new fish .. hehe then I have ... omgg

Dunk2
Yani said:
Ahhh heck ok .. and for the records I can’t hate you again because I never have to begin with hehe. So if this is correct you are right( yes I know you are always right)hahahah so how much water change today? And can I use tap water?
Glad you remembered I’m always right.

To be safe, I’d do another 15 gallons. And yes, you can use tap water. Just be sure to use Prime and match the water temperature of your tank as close as possible.

StarGirl said:
Good catch StarGirl! I obviously have no clue what Stress Coat is. Does it work for people?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Glad you remembered I’m always right.

To be safe, I’d do another 15 gallons. And yes, you can use tap water. Just be sure to use Prime and match the water temperature of your tank as close as possible.

Good catch StarGirl! I obviously have no clue what Stress Coat is. Does it work for people?
Thank you... thank you! You are the best!

StarGirl
Its dechlor with aloe in it to soothe their slime coat. Ive heard good and bad things about using it all the time. I would only use it if you have a fish with a scrape or just got done with meds or something.

Yani

13CA0D40-E7D2-4F5E-B0CB-4DA145E2D959.jpeg
I don’t think this is working .. any other ideas??

depan89
Yani said:

Is this after a 50% water change?

Yani
depan89 said:
Is this after a 50% water change?
No , it was more like 40%

Dunk2
Yani said:

Why don’t you think it’s working?

You have nitrates which means the cycling process is working (but not finished given the ammonia and nitrite level).

Nitrites look high to a point where another water change is necessary?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Why don’t you think it’s working?

You have nitrates which means the cycling process is working (but not finished given the ammonia and nitrite level).

Nitrites look high to a point where another water change is necessary?
Thank you so much for replying.. should I do a bigger water change?? I’m scared for my fish but also don’t know if a big water change will stop the cycling process.

Dunk2
Yani said:
Thank you so much for replying.. should I do a bigger water change?? I’m scared for my fish but also don’t know if a big water change will stop the cycling process.
Yep, do a bigger water change.

Water changes will not disrupt or stop the cycling process because most of the beneficial bacteria is growing on the filter media, substrate, etc.

So, at this point water changes are fine but don’t do any deep cleaning of your tank or filter yet.

Does that help?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Yep, do a bigger water change.

Water changes will not disrupt or stop the cycling process because most of the beneficial bacteria is growing on the filter media, substrate, etc.

So, at this point water changes are fine but don’t do any deep cleaning of your tank or filter yet.

Does that help?
It sure does help a lot. Thanks a million, you are the best!

Dunk2
Yani said:
It sure does help a lot. Thanks a million, you are the best!
You’re welcome!

Out of curiosity, what are you using to do water changes (buckets or something easier)?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
You’re welcome!

Out of curiosity, what are you using to do water changes (buckets or something easier)?
Buckets unfortunately.. lol how did you know? Because of my hesitation when having to do water change? .. yes I hate it ..ead:

Dunk2
Yani said:
Buckets unfortunately.. lol how did you know? Because of my hesitation when having to do water change? .. yes I hate it ..ead:
Yeah, I kinda thought maybe you were in bucket mode!

If you have a faucet that you can connect this to (it needs a faucet like one you can connect a garden hose to), you should really think about buying one of these. . .

Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System, 25-ft - Chewy.com

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Yeah, I kinda thought maybe you were in bucket mode!

If you have a faucet that you can connect this to (it needs a faucet like one you can connect a garden hose to), you should really think about buying one of these. . .

Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System, 25-ft - Chewy.com
Thank you

Yani
Yani said:
Thank you
Looks worse after 70%water change what do you think?

Dunk2
Yani said:
Looks worse after 70%water change what do you think?
Ammonia definitely looks higher. Nitrites maybe about the same? Did you test immediately or soon after the change?

If you used tap water for the change, have you tested the water out of your tap for ammonia? That wouldn’t explain why nitrites stayed about the same, but it may help to understand why ammonia would increase after such a large water change.

Yani
Dunk2 said:
Ammonia definitely looks higher. Nitrites maybe about the same? Did you test immediately or soon after the change?

If you used tap water for the change, have you tested the water out of your tap for ammonia? That wouldn’t explain why nitrites stayed about the same, but it may help to understand why ammonia would increase after such a large water change.
Yes my tap water does have ammonia about 0.25-0.50 I tested 2 hours after water change.

Dunk2
Yani said:
Yes my tap water does have ammonia about 0.25-0.50 I tested 2 hours after water change.
That could explain the increase after the large water change. But being that you just tested your tap water, I assume that’s not why you had been using treated water of some sort?

Are you able to go back to using the treated water you had been using?

Yani
Dunk2 said:
That could explain the increase after the large water change. But being that you just tested your tap water, I assume that’s not why you had been using treated water of some sort?

Are you able to go back to using the treated water you had been using?
Well at this point I might have to do a combination of the 2 because I had issues with ph with the treated water and also not enough ammonia to cycle since I don’t have that many fish added to that my plants seem to not like the treated water and I started to see some snails here and there..what do you think?

Dunk2
mattgirl Any ideas? I‘ve never had to deal with ammonia out of the tap.

Yani
Dunk2 said:
mattgirl Any ideas? I‘ve never had to deal with ammonia out of the tap.
Hopefully she does .. Good night kind sir.

mattgirl
Cycling a tank takes time, patience and consistency. I've not read this whole thread but I noticed y'all talking about changing the source water for this tank. The bacteria that had grown was used to the water it grew in. The change in water chemistry could have disrupted the bacteria colony. Like I've often said, bacteria is a living thing and needs to be treated as such. Drastic changes can harm it. Choose a water source and stick with it.
not enough ammonia to cycle since I don’t have that many fish
I don't understand this statement. Any ammonia is enough ammonia. Granted, the more ammonia one has the more bacteria one will grow but a tank only needs enough to process the amount of ammonia the fish are producing.
Yani said:
Water changes are critically necessary for a healthy tank. If you truly hate doing them then I don't think you are going to enjoy this hobby unless you can simplify the process. I have always used buckets. Someday it may reach the point to where I can no longer lift the buckets. Sadly that time seems to be almost here so I will have to find an easier way because I will still be doing weekly water changes of at least 50% in each of my tanks including the 55.

BTW: I could be that your nitrite are much higher than the test is telling you and that is why the big water change didn't seem to lower them. You can test this out by running a dilution test. Start with 1ml tank water and 4mls source water in your test tube. Run the test on that mixture. If you are still seeing deep purple you will know your nitrites are well above the highest the chart shows.

Dunk2
mattgirl Yani had been using some sort of “treated water” before switching a few days ago to tap water (which shows lower levels of ammonia).

I would think that the treated water she had been using could have come from different sources. If true, that could also cause cycling issues?

mattgirl
Dunk2 said:
mattgirl Yani had been using some sort of “treated water” before switching a few days ago to tap water (which shows lower levels of ammonia).

I would think that the treated water she had been using could have come from different sources. If true, that could also cause cycling issues?
Do you know what she means by "treated water"? Treated with what? I would think although there is some ammonia in the tap water it might be best to just stick with it and add Prime to detox the ammonia in it.

Dunk2
mattgirl said:
Do you know what she means by "treated water"? Treated with what? I would think although there is some ammonia in the tap water it might be best to just stick with it and add Prime to detox the ammonia in it.
I don’t. I assumed it was simply bottled/dechlorinated water that you can buy in grocery stores or some fish stores.

For a few different reasons, I agree that she should stick with tap water.

Yani
mattgirl said:
Cycling a tank takes time, patience and consistency. I've not read this whole thread but I noticed y'all talking about changing the source water for this tank. The bacteria that had grown was used to the water it grew in. The change in water chemistry could have disrupted the bacteria colony. Like I've often said, bacteria is a living thing and needs to be treated as such. Drastic changes can harm it. Choose a water source and stick with it.

I don't understand this statement. Any ammonia is enough ammonia. Granted, the more ammonia one has the more bacteria one will grow but a tank only needs enough to process the amount of ammonia the fish are producing.

Water changes are critically necessary for a healthy tank. If you truly hate doing them then I don't think you are going to enjoy this hobby unless you can simplify the process. I have always used buckets. Someday it may reach the point to where I can no longer lift the buckets. Sadly that time seems to be almost here so I will have to find an easier way because I will still be doing weekly water changes of at least 50% in each of my tanks including the 55.

BTW: I could be that your nitrite are much higher than the test is telling you and that is why the big water change didn't seem to lower them. You can test this out by running a dilution test. Start with 1ml tank water and 4mls source water in your test tube. Run the test on that mixture. If you are still seeing deep purple you will know your nitrites are well above the highest the chart shows.
My Lady, i think you misunderstood my comment, nevertheless advised taken. I have the patience needed and consistency Needed and I follow through as I’m guided. Also to be fair, let me just assure you that I’m doing this because I love my fish, and Miss Blue. I am responsible enough to do what is needed even if I don’t like it. You love your children but you still dislike the changing diaper process. I admire your knowledge and thank you immensely for your time and help. .......................
BTW: I could be that your nitrite are much higher than the test is telling you and that is why the big water change didn't seem to lower them. You can test this out by running a dilution test. Start with 1ml tank water and 4mls source water in your test tube. Run the test on that mixture. If you are still seeing deep purple you will know your nitrites are well above the highest the chart shows. I will do this for sure.... and will continue to do water changes daily.... thank you so much once again.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom