Question Is my tank cycling now?

Best Answer - View SilverLake's answer

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well to begin, this is a new tank you're setting up, or the tank listed in your bio?

If it's a new tank, it looks that way, yeah just keep up the ammonia dosing untill the nitrites go down the the nitrates go up and it stays that way.

If it's an established tank it needs a large water change and some prime to help stabilise your parameters.

OP
Yani

Yani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SilverLake said:
Well to begin, this is a new tank you're setting up, or the tank listed in your bio?

If it's a new tank, it looks that way, yeah just keep up the ammonia dosing untill the nitrites go down the the nitrates go up and it stays that way.

If it's an established tank it needs a large water change and some prime to help stabilise your parameters.
Is a tank that never cycled since stablished since I’m new to the hobby. This site along with @Dunk2 and @mattgirl and others like you had helped me through the process for the past month. So yes I think new tank term is appropriate here. Thank you... I feel confident now that I am finally on the right track.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yani said:
Is a tank that never cycled since stablished since I’m new to the hobby. This site along with @Dunk2 and @mattgirl and others like you had helped me through the process for the past month. So yes I think new tank term is appropriate here. Thank you... I feel confident now that I am finally on the right track.
Is the tank stocked? But yeah, it looks like you're into stage two, nitrites. Hopefully it keeps up the good progress

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yani said:
I am about to do a water change, and I add prime after plus stress coat.
Hey @Yani.

How much of a water change did you do? I ask because your nitrites look fairly high? What do you think the nitrite level was when you tested?

OP
Yani

Yani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
Hey @Yani.

How much of a water change did you do? I ask because your nitrites look fairly high? What do you think the nitrite level was when you tested?
15 gl water change

Looked 2ppm to me.. I know pictures aare tricky

0.25 ammonia and 5ppm nitrate

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yani said:
Looked 2ppm to me.. I know pictures aare tricky
Heck, I can’t distinguish the API colors in person let alone in a picture. :confused:

If you think they tested at 2 ppm and you did a 15 gallon water change (in a 40 gallon tank), I’m thinking your nitrites would still be above 1 ppm.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to test again or just do another partial water change. Remember that Prime is only effective up to a combined level of ammonia and nitrites of 1 ppm.

The good news. . . You’re definitely getting there! Has it been 3 weeks yet?

OP
Yani

Yani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
Heck, I can’t distinguish the API colors in person let alone in a picture. :confused:

If you think they tested at 2 ppm and you did a 15 gallon water change (in a 40 gallon tank), I’m thinking your nitrites would still be above 1 ppm.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to test again or just do another partial water change. Remember that Prime is only effective up to a combined level of ammonia and nitrites of 1 ppm.

The good news. . . You’re definitely getting there! Has it been 3 weeks yet?
I think it’s exactly 3 weeks,(it’s feels like forever tho:() is it safe to wait till tomorrow for another water change .. I don’t have anymore treated water available today. Also just want to say thank you about the article you shared with me on water bacteria. It turns out my ph dropped ridiculously and boom... I did a little research and added a little baking soda to raise ph and 3 days latter .. water was clean again.:p. sorry for the long message I just wanted to keep you updated

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yani said:
I think it’s exactly 3 weeks,(it’s feels like forever tho:() is it safe to wait till tomorrow for another water change .. I don’t have anymore treated water available today. Also just want to say thank you about the article you shared with me on water bacteria. It turns out my ph dropped ridiculously and boom... I did a little research and added a little baking soda to raise ph and 3 days latter .. water was clean again.:p. sorry for the long message I just wanted to keep you updated
Tomorrow will be OK, but today would be better. ;)

You’re about to hate me again. . . Use baking soda to make cookies, but not to raise pH in your tank again! :p

Baking soda can result in unwanted pH fluctuations and you need to keep redosing it to maintain the desired level. A small amount of crushed coral in a media bag and placed in your filter is a much better and easier way to increase and stabilize pH..

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also want to add that you do not need Prime and Stress Coat. They are both dechlorinators. You only need Prime as a dechlor. I would only use stresscoat if you have a direct reason to.

OP
Yani

Yani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
Tomorrow will be OK, but today would be better. ;)

You’re about to hate me again. . . Use baking soda to make cookies, but not to raise pH in your tank again! :p

Baking soda can result in unwanted pH fluctuations and you need to keep redosing it to maintain the desired level. A small amount of crushed coral in a media bag and placed in your filter is a much better and easier way to increase and stabilize pH..
Ahhh heck ok .. and for the records I can’t hate you again because I never have to begin with hehe. So if this is correct you are right( yes I know you are always right)hahahah so how much water change today? And can I use tap water?

StarGirl said:
I also want to add that you do not need Prime and Stress Coat. They are both dechlorinators. You only need Prime as a dechlor. I would only use stresscoat if you have a direct reason to.
Really? Since it said to use with water change or adding new fish .. hehe then I have ... omgg

Attachments

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yani said:
Ahhh heck ok .. and for the records I can’t hate you again because I never have to begin with hehe. So if this is correct you are right( yes I know you are always right)hahahah so how much water change today? And can I use tap water?
Glad you remembered I’m always right. :p

To be safe, I’d do another 15 gallons. And yes, you can use tap water. Just be sure to use Prime and match the water temperature of your tank as close as possible.

StarGirl said:
Good catch @StarGirl! I obviously have no clue what Stress Coat is. Does it work for people?

OP
Yani

Yani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dunk2 said:
Glad you remembered I’m always right. :p

To be safe, I’d do another 15 gallons. And yes, you can use tap water. Just be sure to use Prime and match the water temperature of your tank as close as possible.

Good catch @StarGirl! I obviously have no clue what Stress Coat is. Does it work for people?
Thank you... thank you! You are the best!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its dechlor with aloe in it to soothe their slime coat. Ive heard good and bad things about using it all the time. I would only use it if you have a fish with a scrape or just got done with meds or something.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yani said:
13CA0D40-E7D2-4F5E-B0CB-4DA145E2D959.jpeg
I don’t think this is working .. any other ideas??
Why don’t you think it’s working?

You have nitrates which means the cycling process is working (but not finished given the ammonia and nitrite level).

Nitrites look high to a point where another water change is necessary?

New Threads