Is my tank cycled

AngelsAndDemons

Hi, I’m just wondering is my tank is completely cycled. I started it it last August 20. It’s 50 gallon. I put api stress coat, bacteria starter and some fish food on it for 3 days. After that i did put my hang back filter from my 10 gallon tank that been running from couple of months for my platies. On my second week i add 2 platies on it. On my 3rd week i had a ammonia spike. I can’t remember if it was1.0ppm. It was green in color on my api master kit. I was panicked and did 50% WC. And it was 0.0 nitrite and 5.0 ppm nitrate. Now, it looks like it’s back to 0 everything. But i didn’t get any brown algae tho. Is it possible to get my tank cycled without it? Thanks

Attachments

• 33EF8C7D-67C8-42D3-B526-36F71885BC4C.jpeg
    33EF8C7D-67C8-42D3-B526-36F71885BC4C.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 23

carsonsgjs

Looks cycled to me. To be honest I’d be surprised if it wasn’t cycled after a year of being set up, and not every tank suffers with diatoms.

AngelsAndDemons

Looks cycled to me. To be honest I’d be surprised if it wasn’t cycled after a year of being set up, and not every tank suffers with diatoms.
Oh, sorry. It was august 20 not September. I messed up the date

StarGirl

You just had one ammonia spike? Have you seen any Nitrites at all?

AngelsAndDemons

You just had one ammonia spike? Have you seen any Nitrites
Yes, only once. I never read any nitrites at all. Always zero. I do have have some pothos plant hanging on the back of my tank. Not sure if it’s going to affect it.

StarGirl

Yes, only once. I never read any nitrites at all. Always zero. I do have have some pothos plant hanging on the back of my tank. Not sure if it’s going to affect it.
No it wont affect the Nitrites at all. Im going to go out on a limb and say no its not cycled yet. Just keep an eye on the tests and do water changes when necessary to protect your fish. It will get there.

Did you just leave the 10g HOB there for 1 week?

Azedenkae

Hi, I’m just wondering is my tank is completely cycled. I started it it last August 20. It’s 50 gallon. I put api stress coat, bacteria starter and some fish food on it for 3 days. After that i did put my hang back filter from my 10 gallon tank that been running from couple of months for my platies. On my second week i add 2 platies on it. On my 3rd week i had a ammonia spike. I can’t remember if it was1.0ppm. It was green in color on my api master kit. I was panicked and did 50% WC. And it was 0.0 nitrite and 5.0 ppm nitrate. Now, it looks like it’s back to 0 everything. But i didn’t get any brown algae tho. Is it possible to get my tank cycled without it? Thanks
So it's still just the two platies in there right?

How long has it been 0 everything for? 3 to 5 days or so?

AngelsAndDemons

No it wont affect the Nitrites at all. Im going to go out on a limb and say no its not cycled yet. Just keep an eye on the tests and do water changes when necessary to protect your fish. It will get there.

Did you just leave the 10g HOB there for 1 week?
I’m running it with my aquaclear 70 and the aqueon 20 from my 10g. I think more than two weeks now with the HOB from my 10g. When i took the filter from my 10g i put a sponge filter on it. I was thinking there is still BB on the decoration and sand, so it’s ok to take the old one and put a new one

StarGirl

No I would leave it alone. Did you take the whole filter and just plop it in the new tank without cleaning it or anything? Tell me exactly what you did with the 10g filter. This will tell me a lot.

AngelsAndDemons

So it's still just the two platies in there right?

How long has it been 0 everything for? 3 to 5 days or so?
Yes, it has 2 platies. Mid last week when i had the spike. I change 50% WC. After that it came down to 0.25. Then I did 50% WC again Saturday. When i checked the color was in between 0.0-0.25. I test it again it looks like more yellow now than little bit of green
No I would leave it alone. Did you take the whole filter and just plop it in the new tank without cleaning it or anything? Tell me exactly what you did with the 10g filter. This will tell me a lot.
Didn’t clean it. I just put it right on my 50. Used the dirty filter on it. Is it possible that it was fast cycle?

StarGirl

Yes, it has 2 platies. Mid last week when i had the spike. I change 50% WC. After that it came down to 0.25. Then I did 50% WC again Saturday. When i checked the color was in between 0.0-0.25. I test it again it looks like more yellow now than little bit of green

Didn’t clean it. I just put it right on my 50. Used the dirty filter on it. Is it possible that it was fast cycle?
Yep sure is. Good job on that. It is only cycled for the 2 platies though. I would leave it for awhile and not change any thing but a swish in tank water when clogged. When you add fish do it VERY slowly because the filter will have to be able to keep up with the new bioload.

AngelsAndDemons

Yep sure is. Good job on that. It is only cycled for the 2 platies though. I would leave it for awhile and not change any thing but a swish in tank water when clogged. When you add fish do it VERY slowly because the filter will have to be able to keep up with the new bioload.great

StarGirl

Leave the 10g filter for about a month to get the other HOB seeded too. If it gets to a point where the cartridge is getting too clogged you can tear the fabric off and put it in the new HOB and just run the empty 10g for the remainder. It will still have bacteria inside even though the filter is out.

AngelsAndDemons

Great! I will. Thanks, appreciate it. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BCole
Replies
Views
Jordanana
Replies
Views
Drafe
Replies
Views