Is my tank cycled?

LowConductivity

0,0,10, would imply that the tank is either cycled, or the tank is brand new and the source water contains nitrate

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi all,
Fluidmotion1987,
Can you test your tap water just to make sure it has no nitrates please? If your tap water has zero nitrates it’s a good sign. How often are you changing water or when did you last change some?

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

I have a 20 gallon high the PH is testing 7.8 the ammonia 0 ppm the nitrites is 0 ppm and nitrates is 10ppm. I have 3 black skirt tetras, 1 red eye tetra and 2 xray tetras I have a sponge filter and also a hygger 10 to 30 gall0n it has 3 compartments I have a sponge, bio balls, and activated carbon in it. I only have 1 bamboo in it
How long have you had the fish? If for a while and ammonia still reqds 0, then yeah it is cycled.

Upvote 0

Fluidmotion1987

0,0,10, would imply that the tank is either cycled, or the tank is brand new and the source water contains nitrate
So the tank is new but half the water is from the 10 gallon they were in and half new water. I didn't clean the filters or anything and the tank had been cycling though and I've been reading 0 ammonia even in the 10 gallon and the nitrite were reading low as well. The tank has been running for 2 days now
Hi all,
Fluidmotion1987,
Can you test your tap water just to make sure it has no nitrates please? If your tap water has zero nitrates it’s a good sign. How often are you changing water or when did you last change some?
Hello, I have tested it into too long ago and it read some nitrates I will run it again and post it on here. I changed tanks which probably wasn't a good idea while cycling but I wait until it need a water change and went from a 10 to a 20 gallon I used all the water and decorations and filters and didn't clean anything
How long have you had the fish? If for a while and ammonia still reqds 0, then yeah it is cycled.
Yes I've had the same fish since I've started so about 4 months now

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Thanks for passing on a little more information. That does change a lot of what has been written above. You almost need to forget everything written above.

I am now going to say with the new information it’s far to early to answer your original question. “ is my tank cycled “ only time will tell. continue water changes every 48 hours if using Prime as your conditioner.

The tank is affectively 2 days old but the water is older. No bacteria ( almost none ) is in the old water, however there is old bacteria poop ( nitrates).
While it is helpful for the fish to use old water making it easier for them to adjust using old water has not transferred any bacteria. Using the old filter ornaments etc has moved some bacteria over if there was indeed much in the old tank?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If the 10 gallon tank had been running for 4 months with these fish in it and you transferred everything from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon it is very possible the 20 gallon is now cycled. Cycled simply means you moved most of the bacteria from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. It is still going to take time for the 20 gallon to get established so keep an eye on the parameters just like you were while cycling the 10 gallon.

If you see no spikes in ammonia and/or nitrites you can go to your weekly water changes. If either spike get them down with a water change. If the 10 gallon was cycled any spikes you see shouldn't last long. The bacteria lost in the transfer should be replaced quickly.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Yes I've had the same fish since I've started so about 4 months now

Then yes you are cycled. Or rather, 'cycled for the amount of fish you have' might be a better way to put it.

If your tank is not cycled you would definitely see ammonia and/or nitrite by now. You don't, so that has to mean there are enough nitrifiers to handle the waste the fish is producing.

Upvote 0

Fluidmotion1987

If the 10 gallon tank had been running for 4 months with these fish in it and you transferred everything from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon it is very possible the 20 gallon is now cycled. Cycled simply means you moved most of the bacteria from the 10 gallon over to the 20 gallon. It is still going to take time for the 20 gallon to get established so keep an eye on the parameters just like you were while cycling the 10 gallon.

If you see no spikes in ammonia and/or nitrites you can go to your weekly water changes. If either spike get them down with a water change. If the 10 gallon was cycled any spikes you see shouldn't last long. The bacteria lost in the transfer should be replaced quickly.
Awesome thank you so much! I have been keeping and eye on everything and it's been smooth so far fingers crossed it stays on this this path lol I just want to give it another week of really watching parameters closely before letting off a little just incase

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coffeexmama15
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jclark18
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Cycled tank...uncycling??
Replies
Views
mattgirl

New Aquarium Cycle Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom