Is My Tank Cycled? Help

1. P

Pearl Boba Initiate Member

I’ve been cycling my planted 35 gallon for about two months and during that time my ammonia went from 8ppm to finally 0ppm. Although, during this time no nitrites were present. Is this normal? And if so, is my tank cycled and is it safe to add fish? This was a fishless cycle btw and the ammonia source was the substrate which is aqua soil.
    Readings: Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrites: 0ppm Nitrates: 10ppm

2. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

If you're consistently getting those readings, you could probably add a fish or two. Be sure to start small.

3. OP
    OP
    P

Yeah I might wait a few more days to see how the readings go. BUt is it even possible to skip the nitrite spike?

4. GettinTanked

Not sure. Seems there should've been nitrite present at some point. Were you testing daily? Maybe you missed it.
    If you think no nitrites were ever present, you can test your water from the tap (or whatever your source is) and see if it has 10ppm nitrates naturally present. That would indicate that maybe you aren't cycled after all.
    Did you add fish food or any other source of nitrogen during your cycle?
    What kind of fish are you planning to add first?
    Do you have plants?

5. OP
    OP
    P

The ammonia source was the soil which was at first 8ppm and now it finally turned into 0ppm so something must of happened. Yes I have plants and I first plan on adding guppies.

6. GettinTanked

So plants may be responsible for your lack of nitrite readings.
    I was only asking about the nitrogen because bacteria would need a consistent source.
    Anywho, you should be fine to add a couple of guppies. It sounds like you've been good about testing, so just keep it up. If you get a reading, do your wc's. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    P

Alright thank you! :)