Is My Tank Cycled?

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just tested my 50 gallon today after a week of treating the water with a bottle of Seachem stability and Tetras safe start plus, do these readings mean my tank is cycled? I've only cycled my 20 gallon before so I just want to make sure, I can move my angel into a better home, thanks!
IMG_20180513_091846.jpg

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
Yes, you are cycled.
How much ammonia were you doing, and how long did it take to return to zero?
Not sure how much ammonia is in it, but I used an entire bottle of Safe Start Plus on Monday and put in 2 full caps worth of Stability up until yesterday (Sunday) and immediately on Tuesday I got a .50 reading of ammonia and Friday (3 days after) it dropped to zero! From what I've read it usually takes a while for it to cycle so I'm happy that it is cycled! I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I did put on a canister filter with half a bag of substrate pro bio media in the canister

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your cycle needs an ammonia source.

Are there fish in the tank?

Your test bottles look good, high nitrates, 0 nitrites and ammonia, just what you want. A 50% water change will cut your nitrates in 1/2.

Just need an ammonia source or the cycle will die.

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
Your cycle needs an ammonia source.

Are there fish in the tank?

Your test bottles look good, high nitrates, 0 nitrites and ammonia, just what you want. A 50% water change will cut your nitrates in 1/2.

Just need an ammonia source or the cycle will die.
I'll start moving my fish in from their 20 gallon then, it's just an angel, a Betta and two panda cory's

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
I concerned you cycled without an ammonia source.

Seems weird.
I did watch a video online of a guy breifly mentioning that he put in fish flakes everyday to get his 5 gallon cycled, so I put in a good pinch of fish flakes everyday, does that count?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That’s the answer I was hoping for, good job.

I would do a big water change to lower those nitrates and vacuum the leftover food out before adding your fish but it sounds like you’re good.

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
That’s the answer I was hoping for, good job.

I would do a big water change to lower those nitrates and vacuum the leftover food out before adding your fish but it sounds like you’re good.
Awesome! I'm learning more about cycling! I'll make sure to vacuum out the flakes and make a water change before moving everything over, thank you so much!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If a tank is cycled, and a lack of ammonia will kill the cycle because the bb will die, how do bacteria in a bottle stay alive?

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
WhoKnows said:
If a tank is cycled, and a lack of ammonia will kill the cycle because the bb will die, how do bacteria in a bottle stay alive?
Googe it?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He said he was about “to move his fish over.”

But you are right, no ammonia and your bacteria will die. The “bacteria in a bottle “ are the same bacteria in every cycle. They are just concentrated so you get a better start. I’m sure there is more science to it than that but it’s the same thing.

And they need to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom