Is my tank cycled or not cycled?

1. Innocent159

Innocent159 Valued Member Member

Every now and than I get brown algae by my gravel. I had no deaths since beginning of the year except fry getting stuck between substrate. My ammonia is 0 when ever I test it, ph is stable at 8. I don't have access to any other testing kits. I do weekly or bi-weekly 20-30L water changes.
    I have no problem wiping the glass but just want to find out if there isn't a bigger problem.

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Without the nitrite and nitrate we can't tell if it's cycled.

As for the brown algae that could be diatoms. If it comes off really easy, like, comes off if you disturb the water, then it's diatoms. If you have to works to get it off then it's algae. Diatoms are nothing to worry about at all.

3. OP
    OP
    Innocent159

Not really difficult but don't come off with water movement since it is between glass and gravel. You suggesting i get nitrates or nitrite test?

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

HI

what test do you use? the API master test kit will give you everything you need and is really helpful in testing your cycle.

5. codyrex97

6. OP
    OP
    Innocent159

I have to go search at bigger fish stores cause most LFS have individual test for everything. I will search. I frequently test my ammonia though because I don't know my nitrates and nitrites

7. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

Amazon has it for $27.49 and is Prime eligible.

8. codyrex97

Once you pass the first stage of the nitrogen cycle you're barely going to see ammonia, if at all, as now the nitrites will start to build. Once the nitrites drop the nitrates will build. Once you have a stable amount of,
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20-40
    Then you know you're cycled.

9. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

A light dusting of stuff on the glass weekly is normal

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    Innocent159