Is My Tank Close To Getting Cycle? [new Hobbyist]

1. J

Jason87 New Member Member

Hello,

I am a new member here!

Just joined fish keeping hobby! Recently been to carnival with my 3 years old daughter and won 2 commet goldfish. That's when all started...

Right after the carnival, went to walmart, did quick research online and bought 29g tank, 30lbs gravel, filter rated 150gph, plastic ornaments, aqua safestart and aquasafe dechlorinator. After about 2 weeks, two goldies died. So sad... even though fish keeping hobby is not something that I ever though would be doing.. here I am. LOL.

I did more research after goldies. I cleaned the entire tanks and accessories with hot water to clean and sanitize. I set everything up and conditioned water and ran the tank for 28hours. Then, added safestart, went to petsmart and got 3 zebra danios (after learning that they are hardy fish ). I've been checking the water every 24 hours and today is 3rd day. I've read somewhere that when nitrate shows up, tank is close to being cycled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Today, I see around 0.5-1.5 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, little bit of nitrate. I am attaching photos of the results.

First bottle- ammonia
    Second bottle- nitrite
    Third bottle- nitrate

Please give me any info that might help my hobby going!

Attached Files:

2. Rover

Rover New Member Member

Very likely, your tap water has nitrates in it already, I know mine did.

The cycling process will take weeks to months, not just a few days. Make sure to do very frequent water changes so your Danio's don't die from ammonia. Hardy though they can be, you don't want to let it build up. It won't hurt the cycling process as any ammonia left over is for the bacteria.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jason87 New Member Member

Thank you for your advise!

I know that fully cycling a tank takes long time but just wanted to see if my tank is going to the right direction.

I forgot to mention in my post about the nitrate. I did not get any nitrate reading during 1st and 2nd tests. Only on 3rd test.

If everything goes smoothly, do you think I could add couple more after 2 weeks?

4. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Adding more fish isn't really based on a certain length of time, but based on what your water parameters are. Every time you add fish it's going to take your cycle a little while to catch up since suddenly there's more ammonia in the tank, even in an established, mature tank. In a well cycled tank the beneficial bacteria is specific to the fish/ammonia in the tank, no more and no less. IMO don't add any more fish until your tank is cycled with the current 3 fish (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5+ nitrate).

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

For filtration you want to aim for a 10x turnover (gph). For a 29 you would want at least 290gph, for Goldie's I would make it considerably higher...(400+)