Question Is my tank being filtered enough?

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

I absolutely love the way a tank full of fish looks, but I am curious if I should increase my filtration to manage this. I have a eheim classic canister filter rated for 40 gallons (idk the flow rate).Does anybody know the flow rate for this filter? I also have a sponge filter rated for like 40 gallons and have two more sponge filters that are coming that I am adding rated for 55 gallons. Should I raise the flow rate of my canister filter? If so how do I do this without disturbing the cycle and what canister filters do you recommend?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You failed to mention the size of the tank you're dealing with here :D

On top of that, how many/what species of fish are you trying to keep?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
You failed to mention the size of the tank you're dealing with here :D

On top of that, how many/what species of fish are you trying to keep?
Oh haha! 20 gallon long. Usually I am pretty thorough. I was distracted at the time I wrote this lol. 8 WCMM, 5 albino corys, 5 mystery snails, guppies and endlers

later on, a school of hump head glass fish or regular glass fish

and possibly more depending on what the future brings

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can hold 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite your filtration is adequate.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
david1978 said:
If you can hold 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite your filtration is adequate.
I understand this but if I add more and more fish and all of the sudden that one extra fish pushes the boundaries... I don’t want that to happen

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
I understand this but if I add more and more fish and all of the sudden that one extra fish pushes the boundaries... I don’t want that to happen
If your filter is fine now, it should be fine if you add more fish. As long as you have enough media so there is enough bacteria, a new fish shouldn't overload your filter.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
You're pushing it stocking wise according to AqAdvisor (for reference only), but that just means your over crowding your tank. Your filtration will handle that and more, but there's no way to accurately say how much more that I know of. I'm slightly over stocked in my 20g, but I have filtration for 95 gallons, so I only worry about overcrowding and how that will effect my tankmates. I'll never come close to having the bio-load you would see in a well stocked 95 gallon tank.

I agree with david1978. If your BB keep your ammonia and nitrites at zero, you're good.

If your don't want to push the limits, then don't grossly overstock. Ultimately, it will cause unnecessary stress and harm to your tankmates, regardless of how much your filtration can handle.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think that two 40-gallon rated filters in a 20 gallon is already overkill - you have plenty of media to hold the necessary quantity of bacteria.

Like Mongo75 said, I believe you will run into physical space stocking issues before you run into filtration stocking issues.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to a 40 gallon and move over all of your current livestock and filters. Can't go wrong!

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Adding all those sponge filters is just going to take up valuable swimming space in your tank. I'd be more concerned about crowding fish than I would under-filtering.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
If your filter is fine now, it should be fine if you add more fish. As long as you have enough media so there is enough bacteria, a new fish shouldn't overload your filter.
Ok, I do have extra deep substrate that contains A LOT of BB and actually is able to take all of the nitrates out of the water.
Mongo75 said:
You're pushing it stocking wise according to AqAdvisor.com (for reference only), but that just means your over crowding your tank. Your filtration will handle that and more, but there's no way to accurately say how much more that I know of. I'm slightly over stocked in my 20 gallon, but I have filtration for 95 gallons, so I only worry about overcrowding and how that will effect my tankmates. I'll never come close to having the bio-load you would see in a well stocked 95 gallon tank.

I agree with david1978. If your BB keep your ammonia and nitrites at zero, you're good.

If your don't want to push the limits, then don't grossly overstock. Ultimately, it will cause unnecessary stress and harm to your tankmates, regardless of how much your filtration can handle.
I’m not looking to overstock, I just want to know the limits etc.
SM1199 said:
I think that two 40-gallon rated filters in a 20 gallon is already overkill - you have plenty of media to hold the necessary quantity of bacteria.

Like Mongo75 said, I believe you will run into physical space stocking issues before you run into filtration stocking issues.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to a 40 gallon and move over all of your current livestock and filters. Can't go wrong!
Hmm ok. About the 40 gallon idea, I don’t know because my pH is already annoyingly high so with a 40 gallon I wouldn’t really be able to get angels or anything. If I upgraded to a 40, all I could do as of now is get more WCMM and guppies/endlers. Unless there are some high-pH larger sized fish you could suggest?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Inner10 said:
Adding all those sponge filters is just going to take up valuable swimming space in your tank. I'd be more concerned about crowding fish than I would under-filtering.
Ok, the filters themselves that I am adding are more of in case I get another tank I’ll have a precycled filter

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had feeder minnows in my 75 gallon for awhile.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
You may not be looking to overstock, but you are, so what you're looking to do or not do is moot if you do it anyway. I'm just trying to point out the obvious, and an issue you may have to deal with.

Finatic005 said:
I don’t know because my pH is already annoyingly high so with a 40 gallon I wouldn’t really be able to get angels or anything. If I upgraded to a 40, all I could do as of now is get more WCMM and guppies/endlers. Unless there are some high-pH larger sized fish you could suggest?
What's your pH? Mine runs about 8.0 and my Angel isn't complaining. Most fish will adapt to a pH outside of their "optimal" pH as long as it doesn't fluctuate.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Finatic005 said:
Ok, I do have extra deep substrate that contains A LOT of BB and actually is able to take all of the nitrates out of the water.

Hmm ok. About the 40 gallon idea, I don’t know because my pH is already annoyingly high so with a 40 gallon I wouldn’t really be able to get angels or anything. If I upgraded to a 40, all I could do as of now is get more WCMM and guppies/endlers. Unless there are some high-pH larger sized fish you could suggest?
I was thinking more along the lines of giving your current fish a bit more space and making sure your future glass fish have plenty of room to fit into the tank dynamic. Also so you can maybe increase your schools, especially of the cories. If this stocking seems to work fine in your 20 and everyone gets along and has space, then that's fine too, you certainly have the filtration for it. What I wouldn't do is upgrade to a 29, because the footprint is the same as a 20 so you'd just be increasing the height a bit.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mongo75 said:
You may not be looking to overstock, but you are, so what you're looking to do or not do is moot if you do it anyway. I'm just trying to point out the obvious, and an issue you may have to deal with.

What's your pH? Mine runs about 8.0 and my Angel isn't complaining. Most fish will adapt to a pH outside of their "optimal" pH as long as it doesn't fluctuate.
I didn’t realize I was overstocked... with (as of right now) just corys and WCMM (and later) the addition of guppies/endlers and possibly glass fish.

as for the angel, my pH is 7.8-8.0 in that tank but I have heard that a higher pH can cause permanent organ/gill damage if that fish wasn’t bred for that environment.
SM1199 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of giving your current fish a bit more space and making sure your future glass fish have plenty of room to fit into the tank dynamic. Also so you can maybe increase your schools, especially of the cories. If this stocking seems to work fine in your 20 and everyone gets along and has space, then that's fine too, you certainly have the filtration for it. What I wouldn't do is upgrade to a 29, because the footprint is the same as a 20 so you'd just be increasing the height a bit.
Good to know about the 29. And I may not be purchasing glass fish ever but if I want to I will consider this as well.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
as for the angel, my pH is 7.8-8.0 in that tank but I have heard that a higher pH can cause permanent organ/gill damage if that fish wasn’t bred for that environment.
I just looked up the "optimal" pH for Angels and between 4 articles, none agreed. It was anywhere from the mid 6's (6.5) to high 7's (7.8) max. I've had mine since July 20, 2019 and I haven't seen any signs of distress or illness. Obciously, I can't ask, be it seems healthy :). My pH is 8.0 out of the tap and in the tank, averages 8.0 with fluctuations between 7.8 and 8.0 and rarely, 7.6 or 8.2. As long as you keep it stable and the rest of your water parameters in check, I see no problems with your pH.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mongo75 said:
I just looked up the "optimal" pH for Angels and between 4 articles, none agreed. It was anywhere from the mid 6's (6.5) to high 7's (7.8) max. I've had mine since July 20, 2019 and I haven't seen any signs of distress or illness. Obciously, I can't ask, be it seems healthy :). My pH is 8.0 out of the tap and in the tank, averages 8.0 with fluctuations between 7.8 and 8.0 and rarely, 7.6 or 8.2. As long as you keep it stable and the rest of your water parameters in check, I see no problems with your pH.
Hmm ok. And how do both of our tanks pH’s generally get lowered inside of the tank? I think I know but not sure. Also what other fish do you keep?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
I think it makes sense that your angels can handle a ph of 8 since angels have been bred in captivity for some time and many people do so(there are hardly any that are captured in the wild). Most fish adapt fine to ph out of their range(of course not TOO much out of the range). I see a lot of people say green neons are very sensitive to ph but they can do fine at a ph of 8(there is someone that had success keeping them in this ph so yeah). I think stable ph is the most important. Lol mixed opinion on fish care is everywhere. I saw a website that said bowls were okay for goldfish, a website that said 40 gallons each, and one that said goldfish can ONLY live in ponds.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
I think it makes sense that your angels can handle a ph of 8 since angels have been bred in captivity for some time and many people do so(there are hardly any that are captured in the wild). Most fish adapt fine to ph out of their range(of course not TOO much out of the range). I see a lot of people say green neons are very sensitive to ph but they can do fine at a ph of 8(there is someone that had success keeping them in this ph so yeah). I think stable ph is the most important. Lol mixed opinion on fish care is everywhere. I saw a website that said bowls were okay for goldfish, a website that said 40 gallons each, and one that said goldfish can ONLY live in ponds.
Hmm... Well I might try Seachem's acid buffer and then stabilize it with alkaline buffer... But probably not because that can be risky. I've thought about it for months.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom